Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2003, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 16 Jul 2003 21:26:37 -0700
From:         Stan Wilder <wilden1@JUNO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Organizing Vanagon Maintenance Information
Comments: To: mark_hb@hotmail.com

We both know that a good 90% of subjects on the Vanagon list are repeated, beat to death, resurrected again in two days. Starting a 2003 beginning date on an archive file would be a simple solution but there would still be 90% fluff and 10% genuine helpful info. Seems that if users had a keyword to insert in the subject line or first text line that told the server to hold it in archives or discard it to a general history file there could be a rapid growth helpful archive. Personally I've found lots of very good info in the archives but it does take some concentrated effort to edit through to the meat of the subject. Many of the most knowledgeable members are no longer on the list and unless you have a reference to their name they are hard to ferret out in the archives. I get many Pmail relating to Air Cooled engines. People who write me directly normally find me in the archives. I don't survey them but there are normally referrals to something I posted in the past. It would be interesting to find out how many people lurk on the list and never post. I've got to admit that there are times things get a little rowdy here.

Stan Wilder -------------------------- Clip --------------------------------------- then forgot the archives, start it fresh, and use input from existing members so its made collectively...

it would be nice to be able to type your own info online and have it saved... like 180,000 miles for the oil change, air filer change...

________________________________________________________________ The best thing to hit the internet in years - Juno SpeedBand! Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER! Only $14.95/ month - visit www.juno.com to sign up today!