Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2003, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 17 Jul 2003 09:22:55 -0700
From:         mark drillock <drillock@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: 2.1L coolant light problem
Comments: To: gary hradek <hradek@yahoo.com>

You can't directly compare the 2 speed system to the 3 speed. One reason for this is that the radiator fan motor is MUCH larger and more powerful in the 3 speed models than in most 2 speed Vanagons. (Syncros seem to be an exception as even ones without A/C have the larger fan motor in my experience)

Keep in mind that the A/C models have the A/C condenser mounted right in front of the radiator. This blocks some air flow and also makes the radiator run hotter. If the A/C is running cooling air flows through the A/C condenser, gets warmer, and then has to cool the radiator next. That is why VW added the middle stage and made it controlled by the A/C. VW also made it so the A/C compressor would shut off whenever the radiator got hot enough to trigger the 3rd speed. This reduces both the load on the engine and the heat given off by the condenser near the radiator.

Models with the larger fan motor and no a/c have the best cooling setup. You can't just put the larger fan setup in though. The wiring and fuse size are larger to support the larger fan motor. VW adds an external relay and fuse for high speed with the larger motor.

Mark

gary hradek wrote: > > Mark, > So this brings up an interesting question. > Which speeds in the two speed matches which two of the > three speed in the tree speed and why? > What you says explains why my engine temperature drops > when I tunr on the AC. Maybe it is time to consider > a radiator flush. regards gary > --- mark drillock <drillock@earthlink.net> wrote: > > Gary, only 2.1 models with A/C have 3 speed fans. > > Speed 2 is controlled > > only by the A/C controls and has nothing to do with > > how hot the engine > > or radiator are. The dual temp switch in the > > radiator runs speeds 1 + 3 > > according to how hot the radiator is. The A/C relay > > controls speed 2. > > > > The overall cooling system has plenty of capacity > > for the 2.1. Many > > people run much more powerful engines in Vanagons > > without cooling system > > limitations presenting themselves. > > > > > > Mark > > > > > > gary hradek wrote: > > > > > > David, > > > My disconnect is more obvious. Sometimes it > > > will run 10 or 15 minutes in the hotter area with > > only > > > the low speed fan running. Othertimes the medium > > > speed fan will be running when the temp gauge > > > indicates that it should be off. I think it is > > just > > > a poorly designed system that works marginally. > > I > > > think the actual coolant flow maybe variable and > > is > > > the cause of the problem. This is a tuff thing > > to > > > measure but it would explain the temperature > > > variations with a constant engine speed. > > > > > __________________________________ > Do you Yahoo!? > SBC Yahoo! DSL - Now only $29.95 per month! > http://sbc.yahoo.com