Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2003, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 17 Jul 2003 12:05:27 -0500
From:         Rodney Woten <rodney.woten@LENNOXIND.COM>
Subject:      Re: 16" wheels from other makes?
Comments: cc: rzarse@YAHOO.COM

Rusty, We put the Yoko Y356's on our Westy this spring and were amazed at the difference. Of course anything was better than the passenger rated tires that the PO put on the van. Crosswinds, semis and sharp corners are no longer a problem in our van, and we drive with much more confidence because of it. I have been cautioned to rotate the tires religiously as they are of a harder durometer and wear faster. It seems to me that this should be the other way around (softer wears faster), but I'm just passing along what I was told. Other members have also cautioned me that these are not a good tire in the rain, but after flying thru Sioux City @ 65 in a torrential downpour, I can honestly say that the Y356's felt as grippy in the wet as any of the tires on our other vehicles. IMHO these tires are the best tire in this price range available for a vanagon. There are several threads in the archives discussing the "Super Van" Y356's, so for more info you may want to look there. Good luck!!

Rod Woten '87 Westy Des Moines, Iowa

-----Original Message----- From: MIME :rzarse@YAHOO.COM [mailto:MIME :rzarse@YAHOO.COM] Sent: Thursday, July 17, 2003 10:52 AM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: 16" wheels from other makes?

As long as we're on the subject, what performance characteristics do those of you with other than stock 14" wheels experience?

For that matter, is anyone running a tire/rim combi that truly made a difference.

Road noise, stability? Or is it entirely cosmetic?

While some of these rims lookabsolutely fabulous, my bang for the buck is going to be in the drivetrain and air conditioning.. heater, brakes, stereo...

My westy has crappy roadmaster tires on it that need to be replaced. I plan to get some michelin agiglis. The roadmaster got me from az to ga but I fear for their safety. Any advice on tire brands appreciated also, yokohama has a $50 y356.

cheers,

Rusty

85 VW Westy (with whome I will never part) 03 Volvo V40 99 Acura TL 86 CRX (on the auction block!)

Rusty_Zarse___..._. HPCInteractive : rzarse@yahoo.com : ___________________|