Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2003, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 15 Jul 2003 09:23:01 -0400
From:         Joe Chasse <chassehsd@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: Teenage Vanagon Drivers
Comments: To: Roger Van Till <rvantill@ISERV.NET>

I remember when I first learned how to drive and needed a car. My Dad had two vehicles, his new Suburban (which he loved) and a BMW he only drove for long business hauls. I got to drive the BMW (GOD BLESS THE EARLY 90's)

Actually thinking back to those days I would never have let myself drive my vanagon.

SERIOUSLY....think back to being a teenage driver, there are a few distinctions between a Vanagon and your average German import luxury sedan.

1. Speed = teenagers like to exhibit it Vanagons don't. It took some growing up to allow me to hit the highways at a max 65-70 mph speedrate. "Flooring" your van will not shorten the trip as much as it will shorten the lifespan of your engine.

2. Brakes = frankly as a teenager we all had a lack of experience in judging braking distance (still have that on occasion actually) not a good thing in a vehicle with notoriously soft brakes.

3.Stability = the turn radius on these things in extremely short, great for getting into tough spaces but not great for taking hairpin turns at speed, even in my enlightened older state I have misjudged cutting a number of curbs and run over them with the rear end. Also if you have done any highway driving in a heavy trucking area you know that basically your vanagon is like a big sail on wheels. If you are lucky the wind is blowing from behind often it is from the side and a good gust can really wake you up when you are not paying attention.

4.Maintenance= I am not talking about major repairs just general yearly maintenance, some used Toyota or such is gonna be easier to get parts for as well as give more flexibility when it comes time to find a garage for jobs that require more then a driveway and a free Saturday afternoon.

In the end of course you are the best judge of your daughters character, from what I have seen from my own kids...use your own worst youthful experience and magnify it by 3x to get a rough approximation of what your kids are capable of.

When you consider the love you have for your van and the cost of "normal" repairs much less major ones, you may very well find that it is less expensive to buy your daughter "her very own car" for a few thousand dollars. This is not to say that she shouldn't be allowed to borrow it on occasion (with the requisite level of respect and threats of bodily harm)...but if your van is being used for every run with "the girls" or "be right back" adventure. Man think back to your own first ride....need I say more.

But man I sure did love driving that BMW :)

Joe

----- Original Message ----- From: "Roger Van Till" <rvantill@ISERV.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Tuesday, July 15, 2003 8:29 AM Subject: Teenage Vanagon Drivers

With my oldest daughter rapidly approaching driving age, I'm wondering how many listmembers let their kids drive their vans. I don't think I could bring myself to it, but I am curious if anyone else is this trusting. Roger Van Till '89 Westy "The Moose Lounge"