Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2003, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 18 Jul 2003 06:50:20 -0700
From:         Tracy Bonin <icculus22420@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Help! 1.9 idle/ stalling problem !!!!!

Good Morning, on my way into work this morning the bus decided to do a few very bad things. I was driving along in 3rd gear at like 3000 rpm and all of a sudden... zchoom.....the rpm's went from 3000 to 0 then back to 3000 cause I was moving, and it continued to do this in different gears, and at different speeds and rpm's. I pulled over and tried to rev the engine, and as I was revving it would do the same thing, I would rev , rpm's would go up, then it would stall. I just kept revving the engine until it started to do the high idle thing that it does, so I could make it to work. When I got to work I lifted up the engine hatch and low and behold one of the intake manifold boots (the drivers side rear one) wasn't attached to the manifold. It wasn't dangling or anything, it was still slightly on the manifold. I figure that this could be the problem, but was wondering........ A. if this is the problem B. if this boot is difficult to replace (I bought all 4 recently, because of a high idle probem that I've always had, I figured the boots might be old and leaking and cracking, so I figured I might replace them) C. Do the clamps that hold them on come off a certain way, or do they have to be broken off? In this case I will have to buy those clamps that screw and unscrew.....

I know that VW's are sensitive to air intake, so this very well could be the problem. I also know that this could be the signs of dreaded vanagon syndrome. But I think that this is a little past the syndrome. Actually, it had been showing signs of vanagon syndrome the past few weeks. I tried fuel system cleaner, and cleaning the grounds a little. Now come to think of it, this could have been the start of the boot falling off or something. Also upon looking at the wiring harness that goes to the AFM, I have one that has the same part # as the part # for the fixer for vanagon syndrome, it is just missing the A at the end of the #. Does this mean that I already have this part? Or do I still need to purchase that one with the A at the end?

please help, thanx in advance, Tracy 85' Gl "Ripple" 65' Splitty