Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2003, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 21 Jul 2003 16:58:42 -0400
From:         Edward Maglott <emaglott@BUNCOMBE.MAIN.NC.US>
Subject:      AT: how it works

Trying to troubleshoot why my newly rebuilt trans will not shift out of first. Reverse and first work fine. In "1" if I accelerate and then let off the gas, the engine braking occurs. If I'm in "2" or "D", and I accelerate then let off the gas, it freewheels. So something is trying to happen at the point it shifts up from 1st.

Here is my question. I have studied the manual schematics, and taken the thing apart and back together, but still do not have a good understanding of how power is transmitted in the various gears. Planetary gear systems are pretty cool, but can be difficult to visualize their various modes of operation. I wish I had a series of drawings of how the power flows through the trans in the various gears. I am assuming that the 2nd gear brake band is utilized only for second gear operation. Do any other pistons operate to activate 2nd gear?

Any help/advice appreciated, Edward