Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2003, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 21 Jul 2003 14:40:37 -0700
From:         Fin Beven <FinBeven@MSN.COM>
Subject:      My "new" Vanagon, and Camper to-be.
Comments: To: Joe Federici <joefederici@earthlink.net>,
          Vanagon_Gary_Edwards <syncro86@yahoo.com>,
          Wolfsburg_Campers <Wolfsburg_Campers@YahooGroups.com>

Re:My "NEW" Vanagon. A 1990 Carat.

After owning a '72 bus (bought used), and an '84 Vanagon (bought new, and still have) I decided that rather than continuing to spend on the '84, I'd be better off trading up, and putting that same money and effort into one of the last of those produced. I was looking for the increased power, the improved cooling system, the improved AC, the improved out-side mirrors (in my '84 they pretty much went where the head-wind blew them) and the convenience of Cruise Control. The power door locks and power windows are a nice addition. Also, as my '84 is dark blue, I believed that white would be a cooler color hear in So. Cal.

Two weeks ago, on Tuesday, the 8th of July, I found my new project.

The following is the more-or-less project list on the "new" Van.

Goal: To create a Vanagon with the following characteristics:

1. It should look very nice. My back-ground is in sail boats, so it will share some of that philosophy. The interior paneling will be high-gloss teak veneer.

2. Always consider the effect on speed. Having had a '72 and an '84, I finally grew impatient with being passed by nearly everything if driving up-hill. I will ultimately consider an engine up-grade, but for now I will concentrate on reducing weight where possible in this re-build process. As I'm sure you've all figured out, reducing weight has roughly the same effect (at a much lower cost} than adding horse-power.

3. It should be as quiet inside as is reasonably possible. My prior vans had quite a bit of road-noise.

4. It should have good storage, as I do not like clutter in the van when I'm on a road-trip.

5. It should have a comfortable bed. My objection to the Westphalia format is that the bed is really quite small, side-to-side.

6. I'm a "fair weather camper". As such, I do not need to live within the camper as the Westphalias are designed to do. I'll do my cooking at a camp-site picnic table, or, if it's going to rain for two days, I'll go to a hotel.

7. I will rely on Igloo cooler(s) for cold stuff, and those neat butane powered one-burner stoves for cooking.

8. I'll use my Yakima "Rocket Box" for excess storage, but would like to figure a more aero-dynamic alternative.

9. If it's cold at night, I may use a catalytic heater with an CO sensor.

10. Complexity is OK, if you use it. Otherwise, get rid of it.

The take-apart:

1.. Removed the rear-facing jump-seats, mounting brackets, and seat belts. 2.. Removed the table. 3.. Removed the rear seat, seat belts, and associated hardware. 4.. Removed all interior panels behind the front seats. 5.. Removed the sliding door panel, the smaller panel at the right-rear, the long panel on the left side, and the rear panel on the back door. 6.. Removed the minimal factory insulation. 7.. Removed (with a hand-held grinder) the brackets that held the upper corners of the rear seat. 8.. Removed (again with the hand-held grinder) the rings on the floor that secured the jump-seats. 9.. Removed the rear windshield wiper and water tank, as I'm in So. Calif., and after owning a bus / Vanagon for 25 years I've never wished I had one. This reduced weight and complexity. 10.. Removed the rear floor heater. My '84 had one just like it, and I think that I only used it 2-3 times. By removing it I will gain significant storage space under my new rear seat. I'll save it, so if I ever need it, I can easily re-install. Again, reduced weight and complexity. 11.. CLEANED EVERYTHING. The PO (prior owner) was a smoker, and I'm just doing my best to get rid of that smell.

The re-construction.

1. Installed "Dynamat Extreme" (sound deadening material) on the inside surfaces of all exterior panels, and over the front wheels (under the passenger and driver's seats. It will be will also be installed on the floor of the central area of the van. I will be installing additional insulation around the engine box.

2. Installed 4" insulation (from Home Depot) in all of the exterior panels.

3. Installed two new Sears DieHard International batteries. The one under the driver's seat will be separated from the main system by a shut-off switch so that this battery can be held in reserve for starting if in camp for a few days without otherwise charging.

4. Installed a new Alpine stereo and 6-disk changer, Fosgate 4 channel amp, and 4 new Boston Acoustics speakers (6" in front, and 4" in the rear). The system gets its power through an "ON-OFF-ON" switch mounted just under the radio so that it can be powered-up either by the ignition (most of the time) or by power directly from the batteries. I mounted the CD changer under the driver's seat (protruding about 2" for easy access to the cartridge) , and the amp under the passenger seat.

5. Installed a 12 v. sub-panel behind the glove box. It has fuses for 6 possible electrical additions (3 from the ignition, and 3 directly from the batteries). The "ON-OFF-ON" switch mentioned above gets it's power from this panel.

6. Using the old side-panels, I made templates out of card-board. This was necessary to get a more precise fit, as the factory side-panels are quite contoured, and did not easily transfer to the 1/8th inch teak-veneered plywood I'm using for my new panels.

7. Cut the new panels. 1 4x8 sheet for the center and rear of each side, and one for the front doors so that the grain matches. The rear panel was cut from the left-overs.

8. Varnish. One coat on what will be the inside (to seal it from any possible moisture intrusion). This morning I put the first of 5 coats on the side that will show, sanding with 220 sandpaper between coats.

9. New 14" wheel covers from Pep Boys. Not bad for $12.00 each, and I'll just replace them every few years when they get scratched, which they will.

That's it, so far. 07/21/03. All of this in the first two weeks. More to follow..

Photos available on request.

Fin Beven

Pasadena, CA

----- Original Message ----- From: Joe Federici To: Fin Beven Sent: Monday, July 21, 2003 12:38 PM Subject: Re:

I'd like to know about the custom work your having done? I've got an AdventureWagen and some of the inside is custom and could use an update.

JFF

Thank you for your inquiry about the Carat interior. I have accepted an offer for $400, with the condition that the guy pick it up by next Monday (the 28th) . If for some reason that does not work out, Iāll let you know.

Fin Beven

Pasadena, CA

----- Original Message ----- From: Joe Federici To: finbeven@MSN.COM Sent: Monday, July 21, 2003 12:02 PM

I'd like to see a pic of what your selling.

thanks

JFF