Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2003, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 21 Jul 2003 18:12:49 -0400
From:         Kim Brennan <kimbrennan@MAC.COM>
Subject:      Re: Looking for A/C System
Comments: To: Blake Heinlein <blakeheinlein@YAHOO.COM>

Let's consider a few issues. The Westfalias can't take the standard (late model) middle of the vehicle AC system (which by the way does a REALLY impressive job of cooling down the inside.) That leaves you with 3 choices of AC's that were equipped on new vehicles

1) In the front Dash. I can't speak about how effective this model is, but as it was done on the earliest Vanagons the plastic on this style is going to be 20 or more years old. Potentially brittle and not an easy install.

2) Over the front compartment. Not installed on Westfalias, but I understand adapatable, this style can reduce the headroom available for the front two seats. Probably not much of an issue as Vanagons already have impressive head room.

3) Westfalia style, i.e. in the cabinet over the rear. This replaced the storage area above the rear section with the evaporator and duct work. The problem with this is getting the cooled air up to the front (e.g. driver). In a fully functioning system, this does work.

Larry Chase has a dash mounted front AC in the RoadHaus. Got in installed down in Texas.