Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2003, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 21 Jul 2003 20:13:48 -0700
From:         James Ballen <ballenjames@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Looking for A/C system

Can't say I know where to get a system installed in Texas, sorry... but I will chime in on the dash-mounted A/C system. My '83 Country Homes Camper had it installed at about 350 miles into the van's life. I don't think it every got recharged, as the PO said he never used it.

Yesterday I bought one of the $35 134a recharge/retrofit kits, and installed it. It was not hard to do at all once you figure out where your service ports are and which one is which. Mine were labeled "S" and "D", which I interpreted and Suction and Discharge, and were both located on the side of the compressor in the engine bay.

Once the compressor kicked in, it started to blow REALLY cold. I gotta say, the 4 dash mounted vents may not cool the whole cabin as quickly as some other setups, but they sure do cool the driver and passenger pretty damn fast...

The only thing I screwed up was while tightening the cheesy screw-on adapter for the high-side valve, I stripped the threads out. I just put the old cap back on. Hopefully I won't need to access the discharge anyway!

hope this helps.

-James

_________________________________________________________________ Add photos to your messages with MSN 8. Get 2 months FREE*. http://join.msn.com/?page=features/featuredemail