Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2003, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 23 Jul 2003 11:54:36 -0700
From:         mark drillock <drillock@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: Vanagon alternator too weak for Optimas.

Both of the battery compartments under the front seats are designed for Group 41 size batteries. The charging system of the Vanagon is designed to work with standard group 41 batteries. VW used a second Group 41 on Vanagon models that came standard with an auxiliary battery. W*mart sells a Group 41 for $40 and I have used several as auxiliary and starting batteries. My seats rotate fine without hitting anything.

I suggest that people keep it simple and use what works. For most people, a second Group 41 works great as the aux battery. If you try one and it doesn't work great for you, then think about another solution such as the Optimas or other deep cycle. Why go to the trouble and expense of a 'special' battery until you have actually PROVEN that the Group 41 does not do the job you need done?

I have 2 Vanagon Campers with dual Group 41 batteries and I have installed bunches in other Vanagons/Syncros. When I install a second battery I usually buy a new one for the starting battery position and move the old one to the auxiliary position. In mine I repeat this cycle every couple of years when I get new starting battery and move the old one to the aux position. I also use a high current relay and wiring to charge the second battery. Battery $45, relay $20, misc wiring $20... under $100 complete job. No exotic regulator, charger, or isolator needed. No cutting of any stock wires needed.

Sean's site shows the relays I prefer but he used it with an Optima. 100 amp continuous, 400 amp inrush, compact and easy to mount, not FLAPS crap but industrial grade with silver contacts. Stancor 120-901 , from Allied, $15 plus shipping,

http://www.alliedelec.com/cart/partlookup.asp?ST=AS&PartNumber=5763007

http://vgonman.com/auxbat.htm

Mark

"Phil S." wrote: > > Armando you seem to really dislike Optima, well i > agree with you they ARE expensive, but we Optima users > are not idiots, we buy them partially becouse they can > fit under the westy's driver seat(battery mounted on > its side) Its nice to save space and to still be able > to rotate the westy's seat withyout banging into the > batterys top-posts.....try THAT with your > walmart $45 special....it wont work, the posts are > just too tall. Its a nice clean out of the way > install....see for yourself: > http://vgonman.com/auxbat.htm