Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2003, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 24 Jul 2003 08:15:18 -0700
From:         Alistair Bell <albell@UVIC.CA>
Subject:      pop top tent tightening kludge

First off, I admit this is somewhat cheesy and not for everyone...

Yesterday afternoon my friend and I tightened the fabric of his pop top. It was a replacement canvas (Bus Depot I think), with 3 windows, purchased and installed last summer.

But he had been disappointed with the installation job he did, the sides of the fabric were not as taut as he wanted. He was reluctant to undo the bottom mounting rails and fuss with the fabric that way.

So we decided to make the pop top "pop" a little higher by fitting some 1"X1"X3" blocks between the roof and the forward lifting mechanism. The blocks were drilled (oversized) for the bolts, and we replaced the stock slotted carriage bolts with longer stainless ones.

One person on the luggage rack area and the other inside with the pop top popped, a bit of a push up and the block is inserted between the strut and the top (sealant applied to replacement bolts of course).

It actually worked, the sides are tauter and look better.

But then we had an awful thought, will the top still close?

I does! Just as before, the arm mechanism still has enough range movement left in it when the top is down to allow the latch to engage.

Alistair -- '82 Westy -> diesel converted to gas in '94 albell@uvic.ca http://members.shaw.ca/albell