Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2003, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 24 Jul 2003 21:07:35 -0400
From:         Matt Sutton <msutts@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: Sea Foam

Yes, I know the sea foam. My last car was a 78 Ford Fairmont wagon and I got used to using it every oil change. It had a gasket that would leak coolant into the oil when it was running hot (NYC traffic), and this stuff seemed to actually clear that dreaded milky-ness out of the oil until I could do a change. Honestly, don't know what happens at a chemical level, but I don't know how dry gas works either. I still use it every six months in the Vanagon fuel, or when I know I'm going to run through a tank quickly on a long trip. Yes, it does feel different, and better. In addition to being an oil additive and a carb/injector cleaner, they recommend this treatment every 5000 miles: w/ the engine running, pour directly into the carb or air intake until it stalls. Wait 10 minutes. Start the engine. Incredible amounts of smoke is produced in the exhaust, but you can drive it off pretty quickly. Really big improvement in performance, for a while anyway- I guess until the underlying problems that got cleaned out regain control. I've never done this to a vanagon, though. Sea Foam was recommended to me by my cranky local NAPA guy. It does seem to work on carbon deposits, which for daily urban driving is really serious- low RPMs, plus either hi-temps in summer or never really warming up in winter. Right now, though, it makes more sense to change my driving habits than to be using additives all the time that I don't really understand. I have used MMO sometimes as well, and in appearance it seems to be very similar stuff. If it is of any worth, I lost that amazing ford to rust, not engine trouble. I still miss it. I don't really follow car evolution much, but it seemed to me one of the last simple, utilitarian, US cars. -Matt Sutton 88 GL