Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2003, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 25 Jul 2003 12:12:08 -0400
From:         Jay L Snyder <Jay.L.Snyder@USA.DUPONT.COM>
Subject:      Re: 86 Vanagon Fuse Box
Comments: To: Donald Long <blackcreekfarm@HOTMAIL.COM>

You realize the radiator fan will run all the time if your AC is switched on?

Jay

Donald Long <blackcreekfarm@HOTMAIL.COM>@gerry.vanagon.com> on 07/25/2003 11:22:49 AM

Please respond to Donald Long <blackcreekfarm@HOTMAIL.COM>

To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM cc: Subject: Re: 86 Vanagon Fuse Box

Thanks for your reply Mark.

Here is what lies behind my original question...

I now have a problems with my van, which seemed to appeared after the fuse box was replaced.

TRIP Drove 1000 miles, stopped, then van would not start. Turned over fine. Exhausted all the usual sources of problem (I thought).

TOW?FIX Towed to Johns Car Care in Winchester VT. They diagnosed as needing a new fuse box. It had burn-out signs on the wire that goes up to headlight switch. I was on vacation so they FIXED it on Monday so I could get on my way and I thank them, really.

BUT THEN Not surpringly when I got it back the 1) headlights (high beams) did not work, 2) the fan for front radiator came on as soon as I turned the key one stop, is suppressed during start, then runs all time van is running, 3) the fasten seat belt light came on as soon as I inserted the key in ignition.

BOOMERRANG NORMAL road trip, right, just live with it. So I drive another 1500 miles back down to NC ober a 2 week period and had no trouble. in rain at last of it. Went out the next morning after arival NC and surprise surprise, same problem. Waited a day, then it started, drove a day and it stopped. Now I seem to remember a few months ago when "bluebird" did the same thing to me and then cured itself plus the lights had flickered a bit at idle prior to my last trip. OK, Sherlockians.

WHINE... First I swear to the car gods that I will get rid of this van after I get this stuff fixed...relieves some tension...then back to the hospital lab for my poor little "bluebird". Preface by saying I'm still learning how to use a test meter.

GET SERIOUS, I finally took a really really good look at the top of my alternator where those two red wires and the little grey ground wire hang around. Looked good but then on prying about a bit I found the one red wire was only held at the end on the plastic cover and with a break in between that and the clip end making the contact plus corrosion. Given the cussedness of current it worked while it worked. I think that is the reason it would not start in VT and elsewhere. HINDSIGHT And the time it took the shop to just replace the toaster (fuse box) was the time it needed to dry out and begin starting again. I'll go with that for now. Down $300.00.

----------------------- TODAY Bluebird starts now and no flickering of lights.

BUT

Existing problems and how I've messed with them.

1) No high beams......I was using the high beams a bit (risky) in the rain and on a muddy detour there in Vermont prior to no-start. So maybe I added a litttle more toasting to the wires. a. checked HB bulbs...look fine. b. Wires are a little toasty at fuse box and at the headlight dashboard switch. Looks OK at column. I substituted relays, headlight dash switch, and another headlight/turn sig asssembly from my donor 86 (did not mount it on column). Result: Still no high beams.

Next: Sure my donors could be bad so I'll have to verify that somehow. Suggestions?:

2) I'm almost positive the radiator fan ran from the get-go (war talk) of new fuse box installation.

a) I removed fuse 12 from the box and the fan stops running all the time. Let van heat up to normal and fan comes on as usual. Great. But now my overhead fan for AC (I use it to circulate hot air since the dash fan is on long-term vacation) does not work with fuse out.

Result: leave # 12 fuse out and do without AC hot air circ. Next: I guess checking the sensors, thermostat, ground for fan and that route in case this is a separate problem that had nothing to do with the fuse-box breakdown repair. Suggestions?

3) Fasten seat belt light.

Actually solved this one. Sure. The shop had put a plain relay in that above-the-fuse-box-holder slot for the annoying buzzer. It was not a true buzzer relay. I put in a spare buzzer and voila, no more fasten/ignition light when I leave the key in the van. Peace and quiet.. I did clip the wire inside the donor relay so I did not have to listen to the buzzer.

Thanks in advance your solicitations, advice and humorous comments..

HUMOR...By the roadway. I drove 1000 miles from NC to Wilmington VT without seeing a single bleeping Vanagon, running or resting. Breakdown and I walk 5 blocks down to the NAPA store for some relays (like Hershey's kisses for Bluebird) and on the way I see a Vanagon coming at me. I wave, smile, look helpless, limp, but no stop, but do get a funny look I get from the driver. I realize he just doesn't know by looking at me that I own a brokendown Vanagon. I gotta work on my image.

FIXITS A tidbit ... I made the van look better by removing those awful trim pieces in the windshields and side windows. THEN I replaced them with heavy duty black double strand lamp cord. No kidding. Has held up fine for over a year. Using some creamy hand cleaner I pushed one half cord in with fingers and sometimes tapped with plastic end of big screwdriver. It tightens up the rubber really well. Please, no Polish jokes.

The other tidbit to save fixup money...I know that you all probably know this.... if the bottom driver and passenger front window seal (where you rest your arm) is dried out and crappy (whose isn't?), go to your donor van and get the opposite INSIDE rubber trim piece, which is in great condition, and use it on the opposite outside. Require just a little snipping of rubber at the end and some black goop to secure them in.

Mate says.... I run on more than my van does.

>From: mark drillock <drillock@earthlink.net> >To: Donald Long <blackcreekfarm@HOTMAIL.COM> >CC: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM >Subject: Re: 86 Vanagon Fuse Box >Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 11:59:50 -0700 > >Yes, the 86 fuse boxes are the same, early or late. Many mid to late 80s >VWs used the same one, Jetta, Golf, Quantum... The part was changed >internally for the later years but they work interchangeably and only >the newer one is sold. > >Original part number- 171 941 813 D > >Replacement part number- 171 941 821 D > >Mark > > > >Donald Long wrote: > > > > Replaced the fuse box and now some strange electrical problems. > > > > Can someone tell me. > > > > Is the 86 Vanagon low VIN # Fuse Box the same as the 86 Vanagon high VIN ># > > number Fuse Box? > > > > Thanks > >

_________________________________________________________________ The new MSN 8: advanced junk mail protection and 2 months FREE* http://join.msn.com/?page=features/junkmail

This communication is for use by the intended recipient and contains information that may be privileged, confidential or copyrighted under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby formally notified that any use, copying or distribution of this e-mail, in whole or in part, is strictly prohibited. Please notify the sender by return e-mail and delete this e-mail from your system. Unless explicitly and conspicuously designated as "E-Contract Intended", this e-mail does not constitute a contract offer, a contract amendment, or an acceptance of a contract offer. This e-mail does not constitute a consent to the use of sender's contact information for direct marketing purposes or for transfers of data to third parties.

Francais Deutsch Italiano Espanol Portugues Japanese Chinese Korean