Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2003, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 25 Jul 2003 19:21:51 -0400
From:         Stan Harrison <sharrison@ALUM.MIT.EDU>
Subject:      Window Mechanism

My 87 syncro window started stripping. I didn't let it go on too long before I took it apart. Turns out to be quite easy. It can be removed as a complete assembly which consists of a long "spring" in a tube, driven by gear teeth between the coils. Gear is on window crank shaft. Only trick is to put a small C clamp on door structure or some such to support window in the up position during the operation. Remove two screws at crank, two at window bottom, an two more at top and bottom of vertical bracket. Minor puzzle to get it out largest opening in frame of door. Gearbox is stamped sheet metal. Back end of shaft wore hole oval. I cut away remains of hole lip gently with a hacksaw, exposing enough shaft to support. Fix is 1/8 steel (alum. OK?) plate 2" X 2- 3/8" with five holes. Four are 1/4" (countersink) in 30 mm X 36 mm rectangular array. Shaft hole is .293"Dia. located centered .218 above the 36 mm line between a pair of the 1/4" holes. SECOND CHANCE: If you don't achieve required precision first try, you can turn it upside down and drill a new shaft hole.

Sheet metal gear housing is held together by 4 metal grommet like structures. Turns out these are easily tapped to take the (4) 1/4-20 X 3/4" flathead screws. Sounds complicated, but this is an elegantly simple permanent fix. Works great. Grease the shaft hole, and the shaft near the crank, and the "spring". I put crazy glue on the (4) 1/4' screws, not wanting to be back in that door anytime soon. Stan Harrison 87 Syncro Mt. Agassiz Bethlehem NH