Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2003, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 26 Jul 2003 11:54:40 -0400
From:         Dennis Haynes <dhaynes@OPTONLINE.NET>
Subject:      Re: Fridge wireing?
Comments: To: Randy Charrette <rcharrette@HOTMAIL.COM>

What manual or schematic are you looking at. The Westy fridge relay is controlled by the alternator. The red/black wire goes from one side of the coil and grounds through the starter solenoid. The Blue wire goes from the oter side of the coil and goes to the alternator warning light circuit. The idea is that the relay is disabled during engine cranking, (no ground) and the alternator has to actually be producing current to operate the 12v heating element in the fridge. The contacts on the relay are wired so that the fridge fan, water pump, and light panel are connected with the battery on one side, and the fridge 12v heater circuit is controlled by the relay. In VWs the brown wire is almost always the ground. Hope this helps.

Dennis