Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2003, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 28 Jul 2003 19:51:18 -0600
From:         Bob Stevens <mtbiker62@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: cv joint bolts?
Comments: To: damoncampbellvw@YAHOO.COM

John Connolly and Scott Daniel Foss have both referred to the 12 point as being the best. I have 24 of these, not yet installed, and will get 24 more for the front of my Syncro, the longer one's needed for that. I am making the change so I don't get caught in an emergency and have a roadside stripping contest or stuck out of town with a mechanic not familiar with these. I got mine through Scott and don't know where he got them. John can help it sounds like, if you want the 12 point. The tool comes with the bolts (3/8" drive socket). Well worth the investment of time and $$. Just my $0.02

Bob Stevens '87 Syncro Westy http://groups.msn.com/BobsPhotoShare

----Original Message Follows---- From: Damon Campbell <damoncampbellvw@YAHOO.COM> Reply-To: Damon Campbell <damoncampbellvw@YAHOO.COM> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Re: cv joint bolts? Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 16:24:07 -0700

Howdy, Bill,

I'm pretty conscious about dirt filling up heads of bolts and sharp allen wrenches. My buddy and i both looked at those bolts and came to the same shallow head conclusion (not the original bolts, though - ones that a sketchy shop in whitehorse, yukon, canada, used when my tranny was replaced 20k ago...). I even ground down a couple allen wrenches to get a super sharp bite to them and no dice. Clean and shallow.

This was my first work on CV joints (except for some 12-points on a karmann ghia), so i wasn't sure if this was standard for them.

Repeating an earlier question, is there a preferred bolt for CV joints, or will any ol' allen head do?

Thanks, -damon

--- Bill Marshall <Willolyn99@AOL.COM> wrote: > Hey Damon, > > First question is: did you clean out the bolt heads > before you removed them? > > The first time I took mine off, the allen wrench > spun around on the edge of > the head and I ended up using vice grips, etc. When > I looked at the bolts more > closely, I discovered they were full of grime, > grease, and dirt -- packed in > hard and mostly filling the head. They prevented > the allen wrench from fully > seating in the head. > > If you spray some solvent or WD-40 into the head and > then clean them out with > a nail or small screwdriver, you will be able to > seat your allen wrench > fully. I also give the allen wrench a few taps to > make sure. No need to swap > bolts, just keep them clean! > > Lastly, make sure your allen wrench (I use a > socket-type with a ratchet) is > in good condition, too. You may have damaged it > along with the bolts, take a > look at it. > > Best of luck, > > Bill Marshall > 85 GL Tiico "Pandora's Box" > Aurora, IL

===== '84 Westy (Sparky) '65 Kharma Ghia (Dharma)