Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2003, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 29 Jul 2003 08:46:31 -0700
From:         gary hradek <hradek@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Alternator Deal"what is busdepot's record on this"
Comments: To: Fredrich Hesterberg <FredsVW@webtv.net>

Fred, I think the reason for going to a 90 amp alternator was that the highspeed fan, lights, blower and charging needs for a discharged battery(located a long way from the alternator) may be too close to maximum output for a 65 amp alternator. Most of the time the output is below 10 amps so I would expect both alternators to run cool but perhaps the added winding may make the 90 amp run a bit hotter. This is assuming the wire guage is the same for the 90 amp and 65 amp. The flow of electrons produce heat and the heat does damage to the insulation on the wires. I would expect that on the whole the 90 amp runs hotter than the 65 amp but the 90 amp is less likely to fail when a heavy load is placed on it. I am just guessing on this. What failed on my alternator was the rear bearing. I am guessing that was from too tight of a belt. I intend to rebuilt this one for a spare to replace the two year old napa replacement when it becomes unstable. gary

--- Fredrich Hesterberg <FredsVW@webtv.net> wrote: > Mr Gary, > I believe all Westfalias have the 90 amp, which Is > the case for me. > And you are right when you say it may not be what > you think when you > buy. > They could be anything in amperage. > I did check this new one to be sure, and it is doing > 92 amps. > I also think maybe this. > If a big amp alternator ( 90-- 125 ) will work less > hard than smaller > one. > It will not run as much. > Because it charges faster. > I have two batteries, and need large output to get > job done. > So I think I am looking for used alternator to have > rebuilt by local man > who does nothig but rewind and redo these. > I want maybe 125 amp. > Faster battery recovery in two battery machine. > But I do know what you say. > Less heat small alternator. > But if it work harder to do same as large one in > short time, more heat. > Yes? > > Good Morning, > > > Fred > >