Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2003, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 2 Aug 2003 14:28:42 -0600
From:         David Most <mostd@JUNO.COM>
Subject:      Update Re: MORE info Re: headlights not working after towing?
              (still not working)
Comments: To: dhaynes@optonline.net

Thanks again to all have offered possible solutions. I still have NOT solved the problem.

A local guy here with a vanagon shop of sorts offered some help by trying the parts exchange shuffle. We tried a different headlight switch, ignition switch, and turn signal stalk, but nothing made a difference. He told me that the ignition switch just provides power to the load reduction relay though, so though some of you have indicated that a bad ignition switch could cause the symptoms I've described, he didn't suspect the ignition switch. In addition, as I have mentioned before, all other electrical appliances are working including those that require a functioning load reduction relay. The vanagon guy could also hear the load reduction relay clicking. We tried pulling fuse #9, which, according to the wiring diagram, provides power to the high beam indicator, and the high beam indicator remained ON with the headlight switch on and the ignition switch on.

So, it seems that the suggestion of grounds is my best bet at this point. I have dropped the fuse box to look at the ground connections behind it on the fire wall, and though a couple of the spade connectors felt a little loose, none were disconnected. I've had one recommendation to try cleaning these connections, and I'll try this next. However, if anyone has any more specific places to look given what I've described here and below, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks, David

On Thu, 31 Jul 2003 23:06:59 -0400 Dennis Haynes <dhaynes@optonline.net> writes: > The high beam indicator is trying to be the ground path for the low > beams. It's the grounds! > > Dennis > > -----Original Message----- > From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM] On > Behalf > Of David Most > Sent: Thursday, July 31, 2003 10:43 PM > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Subject: MORE info Re: headlights not working after towing??? > > Thank you for all of your suggestions. The contenders are as > follows: > > 1) ignition switch > 2) headlight switch > 3) relay (not sure where this is located) > 4) grounds > > I haven't done any formal checking other than visual inspection, but > I > want to add that I now notice that with the ignition switch on and > the > headlight switch on, the blue high beam indicator does NOT go out > when > the appropriate (turn signal) lever is used. In other words, the > high > beam indicator is on ALL of the time when the light switch is on. > > For your reference again, all other lights and electrical > appliances > appear to work as normal. The headlights just don't come on at > all. > The > fuses all look good. The only other thing that I just noticed was > that > with the ignition off and the hazard light switch on, the hazard > lights > work, but the indicator on the dash does not blink. It does blink, > however, with the ignition on. I seem to remember that it should > blink > whether or not the ignition is on. > > In any case, I'm hoping that this new information, particularly > regarding > the status of the high beam indicator, will help narrow the > contenders > down a bit. Any ideas? Does my further description strongly > suggest > any > particular possibility(s)? > > Thanks again for your help, > David > '87 westy in the dark > > ________________________________________________________________ > The best thing to hit the internet in years - Juno SpeedBand! > Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER! > Only $14.95/ month - visit www.juno.com to sign up today! > > > >