Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2003, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 3 Aug 2003 08:43:59 -0400
From:         Tom Shiels <shiels.t.w@COGECO.CA>
Subject:      Re: 80 Vanagon Fuel Pump Buzzing Saga - Fixed (?) but now bogging

Hello Eric, Is your gas tank original? If so it is quite likely that the gas tank is deteriorating on the inside and crap is plugging the line to the pump. Pull the line off the tank and see if you get good flow from the tank - catch the fuel and be very careful to not cause a fire. I had a similar problem and had to replace the gas tank.

I doubt very much that adding the vacuum line would cause any problem. Good luck, Tom Burlington Ontario 84 Westy - beautiful condition - FOR SALE - www.shopmiduss.com/westy 85 Westy 1.9L 85 Parts van 86 Van

Eric Wrote:

Now for the problem - the new pump is making the same noise! I am thinking that I should drop the tank and flush it out.

I can still drive it and the buzzing isn't as bad (although audible). It still hesitates and bogs down when I accelerate hard. The engine is slightly underpowered (to what it was last week) and I need to get it fixed soon as it's now my daily errand-driver (I bike to work).

Any ideas / similar experiences? I was wondering if this was the result of bad gas or grime in the tank. I haven't checked the output of the new pump (and I really should I guess).

This may be related or not but I had to splice in about 4 inches of rubber vacuum line on the thin solid plastic (yellow?) vacuum line that runs from the pressure regulator (diaphragm) on the front drivers-side corner of the engine compartment to the passenger side of the intake manifold vacuum port. It's on there pretty tight and the new hose is solid - no chance of it collapsing under vacuum pressure.

Any hints / directions would be invaluable.

Thanks,

Eric '80 Westie "Rusty"