Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2003, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 3 Aug 2003 11:23:36 -0600
From:         David Most <mostd@JUNO.COM>
Subject:      problem SOLVED!  Re: headlights not working after towing?
Comments: To: FredsVW@webtv.net
Comments: cc: insyncro@hotmail.com, kimbrennan@MAC.COM, dhaynes@optonline.net,
          jwalker17@earthlink.net

Here's the short version of the solution: GROUND WIRE (a familiar theme over the years on this list).

The details should be useful for the future, so let me share my amateur perspective. The symptoms were headlights not coming on AND high beam indicator constantly on (both with headlight switch on and ignition switch on). All other electrical appliances were working, including those powered by load reduction relay. Again, unless I've been misled, a failure of the ignition switch would cause all appliances powered by the load reduction relay to be nonoperative. I don't know what symptoms a bad headlight switch would exhibit.

As Dennis correctly surmised, the high beam indicator was trying to be the ground path for the low beams. Fred correctly identified the exact location of the ground wire problem. That is, behind the fuse box, which can be lowered by removing one screw, there are two clusters of ground terminals along the fire wall. The front cluster (toward the front of the vehicle) has the grounds for the headlights. I moved one ground wire at a time to the rear cluster, each time checking the headlights, and on the second try I had lights! I picked the wires that looked a little easier to reach at first and that also looked a bit corroded.

In retrospect, I'm reasonably sure that the towing was irrelevant. Rather, leaving the vent window ajar too many times in New Orleans led to water following the extreme driver's side of the dash down toward the ground clusters behind the fuse box. Perhaps the rust/corrosion would develop in that location anyway, but the evidence is quite suggestive.

I'd like to get some recommendations on how to properly clean those ground terminals. The connectors are rather small, and I'm not sure how to access all of the contact surface area. I didn't do any cleaning....just put the ground wires in new positions on the other ground cluster. Any good ideas here?

In the end, fixing the problem took 5 minutes. I would never have figured things out without the help of all those who responded.

Thank you all for your help.

David '87 westy out of the dark

________________________________________________________________ The best thing to hit the internet in years - Juno SpeedBand! Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER! Only $14.95/ month - visit www.juno.com to sign up today!