Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2003, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 3 Aug 2003 15:57:30 -0500
From:         Budd Premack <bpremack@MN.RR.COM>
Subject:      Window Crank Extenders - Cheap Solution
Comments: cc: Tom Shiels <shielst@tomshiels.com>,
          Darrell Boehler <Midwesty@midwest.net>,
          Chuck Hill <hilltech@netins.net>

Many of us have replaced our OE front door speakers with better quality units. However, unless you get a flush mounted speaker, the OE window cranks scrape against the raised speaker covers. One vendor sells plastic extenders that have the appropriate gear ridges to mate with the metal crank axle, but these are quite expensive.

The serendipitous solution occured when I visited with fellow Listee Tom Shiels of Burlington, Ontario. His 84 Westy (now for sale, btw) had diferent window cranks that had plenty of clearance for thicker speakers. They had come with the van when he obtained it, so he had given little thought to their significance.

Upon examination, it became apparent that they were Ford products. They were installed on the 86-96 (or thereabouts) Ford Taurus, Mercury Tempo, and possibly some other Ford models. After a trip yesterday to my local U-Pull-It auto recycler, I can report the following.

These cranks come in two similar styles, one with the screw hole covered (in a similar fashion to the Vanagon), and one with a designer-styled screw hole. I say designer-styled because this hole is slightly larger than that in the covered hole style.

This small difference becomes significant when you insert the screw to atach the handle. The OE Vanagon screw is too short for the new cranks. I obtained replacement screws from the hardware store in size M5 x 16, 80 pitch, as the original Ford screws apparently are sized SAE instead of metric. An alternative solution would be to ream out the plastic hole in the covered crank style, but that is more work. Besides, the "designer" hole style is tinted a dark blue, which matched my interior better than the black of the covered cranks which I had also obrained.

The net result is clearance of 7/8 inches (22 mm) between the new crank and the door panel, which is plenty of room for my speaker covers. BTW, the Ford cranks cost me $ 1.50 each and came in black, blue, grey, and red. Other colors may be available, but I quit after searching several rows of old Fords. If you don't want to peruse your local auto recyler, new window cranks are readily available for around $10 at your local FLAPS. (Just search for Ford, instead of VW.)

Happy as I am with this solution to an admittantly minor issue, I am concerned whether my van will still be admitted to the Busses Nowhere Near the Arch campout, as it no longer is strictly VW. (Perhaps there is still time to request a variance.)

Budd Premack 86 Syncro, 88 Wolfsburg Land of Sky-Blue Waters Minneapolis, MN