Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2003, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 4 Aug 2003 12:22:35 -0400
From:         Kim Brennan <kimbrennan@MAC.COM>
Subject:      Re: Battery light on...
Comments: To: "Spooner, Robert E." <bob.spooner@MIDDLETOWNPOWER.COM>

Could mean you ran home on your battery. I've done that before.

Could also mean the little blue(?) wire from the alternator broke or got disconnected. This is the one that effectively turns on the idiot light.

Get a volt-ohm meter and put it on your battery. It should read around 13.2 volts. Then start the car (if it will start now) and rev the engine a little then measure at the battery again. It should probably read around 14 volts.

If the first reading didn't read 13.2 or thereabouts your battery has been drained a bit. If the second one doesn't read in excess of 13.2 your alternator isn't recharging your battery.