Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2003, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 4 Aug 2003 11:55:33 -0600
From:         Josh Greenberg <josh@JOSHGREENBERG.COM>
Subject:      Water Tank - Display Panel Weirdness

Volks,

I've already searched the archive for an answer to my issue, but wasn't able to locate any pertinent information. Therefore, I'd like to pose my problem to the group.

Problem: When I fill my drinking water tank the yellow water level indicator light works at first and then drops down to the red level, however the amount of water in the tank remains constant. The tank installed in my Westy has the water level sensors integrated into the tank itself, as opposed to the submersible water level reader.

If my water tank is filled halfway and I turn on the display panel, the yellow level indicator light will come on for 3 to 5 seconds and then shifts to the red level indicator light. Every time I turn the display panel off and then turn it back on, it will read correctly at yellow for a few seconds and then shift down to a misread at red.

Note: Here is another clue that I believe is worthwhile. On Friday, I hooked up my auxiliary battery to a charging system to ensure maximum juice for a weekend camping trip. When the battery was plugged into the charger, the yellow indicator light did remain constant and functioned properly. Once I turn off the charger, the yellow indicator light died seconds after and went to red.

In my opinion, the problem exists in one of two places. I could replace the entire display panel, but they are rather expensive. I'd like to replace with a known good working one to test first. Also, the wires connected to the tank sensors run into a small black box ( I mean literally a black box! ) around 1.5'' x 1.5''. I'm not sure what functionality this black box provides, but it could also be the culprit. I did clean the sensors to remove any corrosion that might have exists on the yellow water sensor, but that did not fix the issue.

Thoughts from the group?

Thanks In Advance, Josh 83.5 Westy Boulder, CO