Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2003, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 5 Aug 2003 15:00:14 -0700
From:         Zoran Mladen <zmaninco@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Costco vs. diehard batteries
Comments: To: Laurence Smith <laurence@ALANASMITH.COM>

Valid point. I use only Interstate batteries as I have had nothing but excellent reliability from them. The last time I went into the Interstate store, the manager told me the same thing. In fact, he said there is one prdominant battery maker in the world that makes almost all batteries now...Johnson Controls. Same company that makes components for your home air conditioner.

--- Laurence Smith <laurence@ALANASMITH.COM> wrote: > I worked for 3 years as an installer at Sears > Automotive and I > installed hundreds of batteries. After that > experience I got to know > many of the other batteries out there. I've learned > that there is > relatively little difference between CostCo, > Walmart, Sears, NAPA, > Canadian Tire, ABCWoopi or any strangely named > battery. There are > only a handfull of battery manufacturers and they > all provide > "branded" name batteries to all kinds of retailers. > The basic design > and specs between them are all pretty much the same > - although they > are not keen to let you know that. I would go for > the lowest price > that fits the Vanagon with the best warranty and not > worry about the > retailer name that is selling it. > > - Laurence > > ---------------------------------------- > Laurence Smith > Hamilton, Ontario, Canada > 90 Westy (fanumbos) > 87 GL / 91 Subie 2.2 > ---------------------------------------- > > > -----Original Message----- > > From: Vanagon Mailing List > > [mailto:vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM]On Behalf > > Of Jeff Oxroad > > Sent: Tuesday, August 05, 2003 3:55 PM > > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > > Subject: Costco vs. diehard batteries > > > > > > Hello all-- > > > > My bus needs a battery. Anyone run a Costco > battery and > > have experience and > > know the cost? > > I've got a die hard in there which lasted about > three > > years--and the one > > before that last about three years. > > > > I use the bus sporatically so the battery sits > idle for > > weeks at a time and > > use the camping stuff off the same battery which I > think > > limits the battery > > longevity a bit as well. > > > > Does the Optima red top fit in the battery > compartment and are there > > advantages to the $99 price (that's the costco > price for > > the red optima)? > > > > Any advice or other leads for "the greatest > battery I've > > ever put in my > > campmobile" appreciated. > > > > Thanks > > Jeff > > 83.5 Westy > > LA,CA > >