Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2003, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 5 Aug 2003 18:44:29 -0600
From:         tom ring <taring@TARING.ORG>
Subject:      Re: Costco vs. diehard batteries
Comments: To: Oxroad@AOL.COM

Well, I'll skip my battery opinions for right now, and tell you one thing that's a good idea no matter the brand you use - get an automatic trickle charger. I got one at Fleet Farm (midwest farm superstore) for about 23 bucks. It runs 1 amp max when on and turns off when done. No relays, all electronic. It is designed to be permanently connected to the starter battery of a vehicle. It is also designed to be firewall mounted. I mounted mine on the right end of the rear seat next to my solar charge controller that handles the deep cycle stuff. That way I can easily see the status LEDs. It is plugged to the 6 way expansion outlet I put on over the 120 AC outlet, and I just plug in the norrmal outside connection anytime it's going to sit more than a week. No pain, all gain.

tom

On 5 Aug 2003 at 15:54, Jeff Oxroad wrote:

> Hello all-- > > My bus needs a battery. Anyone run a Costco battery and have experience and > know the cost? > I've got a die hard in there which lasted about three years--and the one > before that last about three years. > > I use the bus sporatically so the battery sits idle for weeks at a time and > use the camping stuff off the same battery which I think limits the battery > longevity a bit as well. > > Does the Optima red top fit in the battery compartment and are there > advantages to the $99 price (that's the costco price for the red optima)? > > Any advice or other leads for "the greatest battery I've ever put in my > campmobile" appreciated. > > Thanks > Jeff > 83.5 Westy > LA,CA >

------ Tom Ring K0TAR, ex-WA2PHW EN34hx 85 Westphalia GL Albert 96 Jetta GL The Intimidator taring@taring.org

"It is better to go into a turn slow, and come out fast, than to go into a turn fast and come out dead." Stirling Moss