Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2003, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 5 Aug 2003 23:41:39 -0300
From:         Various <AllStuff@HANS-WILLY.MYIP.ORG>
Subject:      Re: Heater booster thoughts?

I use the BA-6 in my 1984 Westy every fall during hunting season in sub zero temeratures... toasty warm! I even use it in the spring or fall, to put the kids to bed, or to make getting up a little more pleasant; just one 10 minute toasty at half heat does wonders to kill the dew.

It sure kicks out the BTUs (I suppose I should be refering to "ergs", "joules" or "watts", in a european car: SI rules).

The BA-6 is limited with the engine off, by the approx. 10 minute timer, so you always have to restart it, because tent canvas doesn't hold heat very well. It is also VERY battery hungry, so a deep discharge is advisable (requires some rewiring) and van startup / recharge battery at least once a day on heavy use.

They are pretty robust creatures and can go through their cycles at pretty low voltages, everything slows, but lots of warmth.

I suppose as any fuel-burning apparatus, there are some dangers: beware of any unusual sounds or smells (there WILL be some smell as you first use them after months or years of non-use. I said UNusual smells). The archives have many theories about the dangers lurking beneath your van, most of which are bunk, IMHO. I find them reliable and safe. There are about 5 or 6 safeties engineered right into them (flame on sensor, overheat, underheat, etc.). With the timer, even if you do go to sleep, it will stop after it runs down, so no ongoing CO danger, if there ever was any.

Maitenance:

Except for the tube that goes from under the seat to the air intake of the beast that roted out (not the combustion air, the interior recirculating air), I haven't needed any work on mine so far (knock on hydrocarbons). What I did for the tube, was replace it by an appropriately sized toilette flange (new, of course ;~) ), cheap and more sturdy than the original. Fits perfectly snug, but was a pain to get in place.

Beyond Bentley, there were some troubleshooting/service materials available on the net in both English and German. I think they refer to the BA-4 also, which is quite similar, but not identical. I have these stored somewhere and could dig them out if anyone wanted them. Pmail requests.

I wouldn't do without it in northern climes.

Fred, aka Bleu Schtroumpf

-----Original Message----- From: jon [mailto:jon@KENNEKE.COM] Sent: 05 août, 2003 15:41 To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Heater booster thoughts?

I just discovered my 1980 Westy has a heater booster (I wondered what that green know was for...). Don't know if it works, have not tried it.

It seems like kind of a dangerous thing: fire hazard and CO poisoning.

But, it also seems like it would be handy for the winter camping trips.

So, does anyone have any thoughts on the use, safety, and maintenance of this fire breather? (I read the section in Bentley on troubleshooting, etc)

Jon '80 Westy '83 Diesel Vanagon '80 Comutacar (electric)