Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2003, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 6 Aug 2003 09:11:06 -0500
From:         John Rodgers <j_rodgers@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: lug nuts too tight
Comments: To: Debbie Walters <debbwa@EARTHLINK.NET>

Debbie,

This is a big gripe I have with tire businessses. Women are nearly always unable to remove the impact-wrench tightened lug nuts, and often we men have the same problem.

I was out in the country one day and had a flat. Fought hard to get the lug nuts off but finally got all but one. That one would not budge. A fellow came across from a house near there, offered some help. We put a cheater bar on it and it still wold not budge. We tried a coal chisel and the chisel would not cut the nut. Turns out the back ring on it is case hardened steel. He finally went and got a battery powered grinder and we ground the thing off. Of course it destroyed the lug bolt. But I still had 4 to hold the wheel so limped home on that. That whole episode killed four hours, messing with it.

Nowadays, as a matter of course, I carry in my vehicle tool box a 150 lb torque wrench, and I insist that it be used when a tire is changed. It doesn't matter to me what the manager thinks, I'm the one who changes the tire on the road when I have a flat.

A tiny bit of antisieze compound applied one time is all you will ever need if the lug nuts are tightened properly. A a matter of good mechanical practice, the the torque values on bolts and nuts are established with no lubricants, and when a lubricant is added, it changes the parameters of the established torque for the part. So lubricants SHOULD NOT be added except where specified by the manufacturer. I make an exception on the lug nuts, hoever, for my own purposes. But one applied, I then wipe them off well, so the amount is minimal. That seems sufficient for my purposes.

You might, as a matter of good maintenance practice on your vehicle, periodically check you lug nut torque, in the same manner as you would periodically check your CV bolt torque. The latter is especially recommended since they do have a propensity to loosen over time. When I have an axle out for any reason, by whomever - including myself - after reinstallation and running it for a while, I always go back and recheck the torque on those bolts. Three times in my career as a VW Bus/Vanagon driver, I have had bolts come loose. Twice after installation by shops, and once. Lesson learned. There isn't much more miserable than having to deal with loose CV bolts while on a road trip. With me it's usually night in a pouring rain!!!

Regards,

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver