Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2003, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 6 Aug 2003 13:55:45 -0400
From:         Kim Brennan <kimbrennan@MAC.COM>
Subject:      Re: fuel tank problem/ oil light issue ?!

I've almost always gauged my "emptiness" by miles. I drive Syncros, so my gas mileage is in the 18mpg range normally. Since I have a 18.5 gallon tank (which I try to make sure I fill up entirely when I refuel) this means I should be able to travel 333 miles to a bone dry tank. Of course that would be fuelish.

So to give myself some cushion, I usually fill up when I'm down to 4 or less gallons. That still is about 270 miles on the old trip meter.

Now my gas gauges frequently are well into the RED section by that point. Or sometimes even pegged at the bottom.

If I'm doing 4wheelin', my mpgs will be less (as they will if I've been doing a lot of towing or AC usage.) But even at 16 mpg, I should be able to get 296 on a tank, so 250 miles is still pretty safe.

Now 170 miles on a tank is very short (granted that the 2wd Vanagons have a smaller tank...they also get better mpgs.) You are running rich, have a fuel leak, or a combination of both. Do you smell gas after your engine has been running for a short amount of time? That could indicate a fuel leak.

As has been mentioned frequently, check and replace those fuel lines. The minimum age on anybody's vanagon is 12 years, and yours is 18 years old. Rubber does deteriorate over time, and fuel lines are no exception.