Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2003, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 6 Aug 2003 16:53:39 -0400
From:         Alan Pickersgill <alanpick@MAGMA.CA>
Subject:      Re: vanagon Digest - 5 Aug 2003 - Special issue (#2003-795)
Comments: To: don spence <dspence@OANET.COM>

I don't know if this is normal or not either but my "85 behaves the same way. I almost never use the handbrake as in Canada during the winter they are subject to freezing, and like Don says, they aren't to be trusted. If on a steep hill I turn the front wheels to the curb, if no curb I find a big rock.

Alan

On Aug 6 , don spence <dspence@OANET.COM> wrote: > > I may be out in left field here, being relatively new to Vanagons > but......Does the point at which it transitions from easy to hard > coincide with the shoe contacting the drum? If so I'd say you have a > "normally functioning handbrake with free moving parts (cables, shoes > etc). The handbrake is marginal at best on most vehicles and should > only be relied upon for parking. > On Tuesday, August 5, 2003, at 09:53 PM, Automatic digest processor > wrote: > > > Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2003 16:17:28 -0700 > > From: Zoran Mladen <zmaninco@YAHOO.COM> > > Subject: Handbrake Problem - Can't figure it out... > > > > Hey folks, > > > > I am having a strange problem on my 84 GL. The > > handbrake doesn't work very well. On my late model > > Vanagon, as you pull the handbrake, you feel the > > tension build as you pull the handbrake higher. > > > > On my 84, it seems like there is no tension, and then > > it gets very hard to pull all of a sudden. The brakes > > only hold marginally. > > > > I have removed both rear drums and watched the > > mechnaisms work as someone else pulled the handbrake. > > I have replaced both handbrake cables to no avail. I > > also replaced both rear drums with new drums and > > installed new rear brakes. I have tried adjustment as > > well - all that does is move the point at which the > > brake goes from pulling easy to pulling hard. > > > > I am stumped. Any thoughts on this? Anyone else > > experiencing this? >