Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2003, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 7 Aug 2003 23:06:13 -0400
From:         Dennis Haynes <dhaynes@OPTONLINE.NET>
Subject:      Re: repost - basic a/c hose connection question.
Comments: To: Owen <olists@THEBRANDS.ORG>

The compressor compresses the gas and discharges it into the condenser, (up front). There, the compressed gas condenses into a liquid due to pressure and releases the latent heat of vaporization thus making the condenser hot. It will then leave the condenser as liquid, pass through the receiver-drier-filter and then through the expansion valve or other metering device. The expansion valve is basically a restriction which will cause a large pressure drop. The reduced pressure will cause the liquid to quickly expand back to a gas and absorb the required latent heat of vaporization in the evaporator causing it to get cold, (actually, it absorbs the heat). The expanded gas then returns to the suction port of the compressor to start the cycle again.

I hope this helps!

Dennis