Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2003, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 10 Aug 2003 13:55:17 -0500
From:         James Fritz <jfritz@ALPINECOM.NET>
Subject:      sliding door panel removal

Volks, Well, I've developed the dreaded seam rust below the sliding door panel on the passenger rear quarter on my 89 Westy. When I started investigating I discovered that I have significant rust between the door roller guide and the body. I am assuming that it has migrated to the interior and has started to involve the seams below it.

I intend to remove the inner panel, use some naval jelly and some POR-15 to seal it on the interior. I also have an older dremel and will put it to use as well.

Now, my dilemmas:

#1 what type of caulking did VW use (or do you all use) to replace what was there? Any special tricks/hints for the application of the caulk so it looks half-way stock.

#2 I can't get the danged sliding door panel cover off. I went to the Bentley pg. 58.11, removed the 2 screws, and using a rubber mallet, tried to tap the cover up. Then I took a long piece of pine about 1/4" thick, 2 inches wide and long enough to get between the roller guide and the panel and tapped on it. (Bentley says plastic wedge but I have no clue what they mean and likely no access to such wedge) I started from the back as per Bentley and have basically beat the hell out of it. It hasn't budged. What am I doing wrong? I don't want to damage the panel and will if I get any more aggressive with it.

#3 Is the roller guide welded to the body? If so I've got a tough time to get all of the rust out from the gap between the body and the guide. Any suggestions?

#4 I seem to recall someone on the list saying that you could go to your FLAPS and get a spray can of paint to match the original. What I can't remember is where to find the color codes. I have the blue.

Sorry for so many questions! Just want to do it right the first time!

TIA Jim in Iowa 91 Passat Wagon GL 89 Westy 66 Beetle