Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2003, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:   Fri, 8 Aug 2003 02:57:09 -0400
From:   Alex Towner <altowner@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:   diesel wabbits and wheel bolt lube

Hi all.

I wanted to mention that most all VW owner's manuals that I've read specifically say you should not lube wheel fasteners. Also, there is a yellow caution sticker under the tailgate on my '85 Vanagon (basic model) that warns against using lubricants on wheel fasteners. Based on this, I would say VW is unequivocally against wheel bolt/nut lube. Of course, I put anti-seize on mine because I don't want them to rust in place. I just check the torque periodically.

As far as Rabbits are concerned: Why on earth would anyone want one of those? The only one worth owning is the GTI. The firm suspension on the GTI is light years better than the marshmallow underpinings on a regular Wabbit. Furthermore, the performance of a GTI allows one to overlook the cheesy Chevy Malibu interior found on most US built Wabbits. If someone is looking for an economical older VW, why not buy an '85-'86 Golf or Jetta diesel? These second generation cars are roomier, more solid, and run and perform better.

The Vanagon diesel engine is different than a Rabbit diesel in more ways than just the parts that allow it to fit in the van engine compartment. The most significant difference is the injection pump, which not only has a special throttle linkage to fit under the floor, but also uses a different fuel delivery curve than a Rabbit. Many people have tried to replace a failed Vanagon diesel injection pump with a Rabbit pump, but few are satisfied with the results. If I'm not mistaken, the Vanagon has a special engine code too, "CS".