Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2003, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 9 Aug 2003 16:25:32 -0600
From:         Eric and Marica <eric.clarke@SHAW.CA>
Subject:      The further adventures of my $#@! fuel supply problem

HI everyone.

To recap, I have an 80 Westie (Rusty):

1) My fuel pump started buzzing and engine started bogging badly. 2) Optimistically changed my fuel filter (which was full of crap) - No change - still buzzing, still bogging. 3) Changed my fuel pump. Did a diagnostic first (on the bench) and the old one was not pushing 500mL in 30 seconds so in went a new one. 4) New one buzzed as well. 5) $#%!!@#!!!!! 6) pulled off the fuel line from the tank (Passenger side rear). Fuel barely dripped out. Blasted compressed air up the tube and Voila! Good, solid flow. Reconnected (realizing I really hadn't solved the root problem) and the pump ceased buzzing and the van ceased bogging. Whee. 7) 2 days later, same buzzing problem, intermittent bogging but now drivable. I have since blasted air up the outlet tube a couple of times. 8) Did I mention that some S.O.B. wrote off my other vehicle in a hit and run and this was my only wheels? I have since (yesterday in fact) purchased a 94 Pathfinder but we are still planning to take 'Rusty' through northern BC to Prince Rupert, up to the Queen Charlottes (that's Haida Gwaii to you Canucks on the list!), back down to Vancouver Island, Tofino, Victoria, Vancouver and home to Edmonton, leaving on the 25th ish. Pressure is on to fix this! I am not bringing my compressor with us! 9) So today I dropped the tank and it's on my bench. It's in REALLY good shape (inside and out) so I pawed through the stack of receipts that came with it and it was just replaced 3 years ago.

My question(s):

1) if there is (as I suspect) foreign material in the tank, I can't see it by sloshing what little gas that's in it around. Would it be incredibly stupid to rinse the tank out (in fact FILL it) with water and try to get whatever out? I could let it sun for several days and even help it dry out with a small fan. 2) Does anyone have any idea of the routing of tubes IN the tank itself? I can see one going from the DS rear outlet to a vinyl fitting in the centre but I can't see anything leading from the PS outlet that seems to keep having the fuel restriction. I was briefly tempted to try rooting it with a hanger but thought better as the tank seems to have some kind of coating on the inside and I thought that making a scratch in it would hasten it's rusting out. 3) I have in my brief time on the list heard that someone has fuel supply rebuild 'kits' that include all of the tank fittings (and hopefully the condenser tank grommets as well) - could someone point me to that person and any idea how long delivery typically is? As I said, I need this puppy road worthy in 2 weeks and next Saturday it HAS to go back together so I can get it in to Darsh for a pre-trip look over. I did suss out the individual parts with VW but really don't want to remortgage my house. 4) does it seem that working on this part of the van makes you feel both woozy and giddy at the same time? Gotta love sniffing gas. Whee!

Thanks everyone, I hope your weather is as nice as ours.

- Eric 80 Westie ' Rusty'