Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2003, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 9 Aug 2003 22:36:25 -0400
From:         Alex Towner <altowner@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Moving to NY with a CA van

Hi guys, James.

I bought a van in Arizona 2 years ago and drove it back to New Hampshire. The rubber and plastic parts will be fine, since it tends to be high temperatures and ultraviolet rays that are most harmful to them. New York should be kinder to these items. What you need to be very concerned with is the body however. Any bare metal will quickly become a rust spot in the northeast. Since you may be a native to the West, let me tell you that once a vehicle starts to rust, it is very difficult and cost prohibitive to repair it. It is much more work to do a full body restoration than to rebuild a motor, and the results are often less pleasing. This means you need to take preventative measures to stop rust from starting in the first place. Any stone chip should be filled in with primer and paint. Places on the undrecarriage where undercoating has worn off should be recoated. No metal should be exposed to the elements. If it doesn't have protective plating or stainless steel construction it should be painted. Do this before you leave for New York. I waited until I got to New Hampshire and was sorry.

If you intend to keep your van for a long time, plan on putting it into hibernation in a nice garage during the winter. You would have to wash your car daily during the season when the roads are salted to stand a chance of keeping it rust free over the long term. If you only plan to keep it for a few more years, do whatever you want. If you intend to be driving it ten or more years from now, with it still looking good, follow the advice. I know - I live in a world where early Golf and Jetta 3s are already running around with huge rust spots on them!