Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2003, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 10 Aug 2003 07:08:30 -0500
From:         John Rodgers <j_rodgers@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: Email Fact on Engine Rebuild?
Comments: To: jesse and monica <jjmojo@SUSCOM.NET>

Jesse, you have an interesting project ahead.

There is much in the archives on rebuilding these engines. It is my opinion - but many will disagree - that if the WBX is rebuilt properly, certain precautions take, and then treated well and serviced properly, it will give you relatively trouble free service for 200,00 miles easily. Typically, someone buys a used Vanagon (all there is now) and the PO has neglected doing the necessary preventive maintenance and also driven the He-double toothpicks out of it. Then the new owner moans and groans about how unreliable the Vanagon and WBX is. You have to consider that the machines - even the newest - are now 12 years old. My 85 GL gave me 115,000 ( I bought it used with 90,000 miles on it.) trouble free miles - after replacing the power steering rack when I first bought it. Had 205,000 miles on it when I sold it. My current 88 GL is now 15 years old. But I maintain the heck out of it, and it serves me well. It is my daily driver, and I have little trouble with it --- NOW!

When I first got the 88 GL , it had 86,000 miles on it. Within 1000 miles of my purchase, the tranny went (manual) and I had to have it rebuilt. At about 90-91,000 the engine blew. Burned a hold in a piston, I decided to have it torn down and rebuilt from scratch. I possibly could have saved the day by just doing a cylinder change, but though it more prudent to have it rebuilt completely. When the engine was pulled, that was when I discovered that it was the second engine in the van already since new. There was a yellow tag on the engine case that said on it :Re-manufactured by VW of Canada. That meant the somewhere between new and 86,000 miles someone had burned up the original engine and had to replace it. And here I was at 90,000 miles replacing the replacement. So when I refer to the PO neglecting the vehicle or abusing it, I know where-of I speak. That being said, sind I put in the a newly rebuilt engine, I've had no trouble and now have 40,000 on the new engine.

Regards a rebuild, the one thing I would recommend outside the normal rebuild procedures, is to have counterweights welded to the crank, and the rotating assembly of the engine balanced as a unit, including the clutch disc and flywheel.

List member Robert Lilley has done extensive work on his WBX to achieve higher horsepower and performance without building a radical engine, and I think he did quite well. His goal was not to make a high horsepower brute of a WBX engine, but to increase the longevity of the engine. His approach was to eliminate vibration by balancing the engine, ceramic coating of certain parts to reduce the effects of heat and reduce the tendency for head corrosion which leads to the dread "head leaks" of coolant, valve train changes to improve breathing, etc. He also added a 5th gear package to the tranny for better highway performance and to reduce cruise RPM.

Robert posts to this list fairly frequently so you may catch his e-mail address easily. By all means contact him about the particulars on his project. He's a good guy and willing to talk to you about it.

Also, "Cat Man" Stan Wilder of this list, is now in the ceramic coatings business and you might contact him about ceramic coatings for you engine. He is into 2nd - maybe even 3rd - generation ceramic coatings for engines now.

Good luck with your project.

regards,

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver