Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2003, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 10 Aug 2003 22:28:00 -0600
From:         Eric and Marica <eric.clarke@SHAW.CA>
Subject:      Re: All Vanagon owners aren't JERKS...are they?  Please read
              this!!!

Check out http://www.thepayback.com/

Full of nice ideas!

Eric '80 Westie 'Rusty'

Brett,

Sorry for the bad dealing. But thanx for posting this message, as I was looking at this Vanagon also. I will stay away...

Thanx!

--- Brett Baer <brettbaer@HOTMAIL.COM> wrote: > This email really has no purpose other than to vent > some frustration and to > warn other Vanagon enthusiasts from dealing with one > of the biggest assholes > I have EVER dealt with. Here it goes. > > I am a 20 year old college student I need a Carat to > use as parts, so I > found one for sale on autotrader.com. Pretty rough > physical condition, > front-end damage from collision with a deer, the > interior is really dirty; > but, mechanically good condition. I contact the > owner and he sends me more > pictures of the van. I decide to pay the $1500 > asking price and buy a > one-way bus ticket from Austin, TX (where I live) to Lawrence, KS (45 > minutes from the owner's house), an overnight, 18 > hour, $65 ticket. The > owner had agreed to pick me up at the bus stop in > Lawrence and then I would > drive the van back to Texas. All the details were > worked out, this was not > a capricious decision. To make a long story short, > when I arrived in > Lawrence the guy had a bunch of excuses why he > couldn't pick me up. After a > couple of hours at the bus stop on my cell phone > working his lame excuses > out, so that he had no more to offer, he says over > the phone, "Forget it > Brett...I'm not selling you the van", hangs up the > phone and doesn't answer > my calls. I resist the urge to get a taxi to the > guys house because the > only thing I could do was fight him; I couldn't > force him to sell me the > van. I figured he would probably just call the cops > if I showed up > demanding the title and keys. So, I go into the gas > station, I mean bus > stop, that I had been sitting outside of all morning > after my over-night > trip and buy a return ticket to austin ($105) and > spend another day/night on > the bus back to austin. I don't want this to happen > to anyone else, or > myself again. > > So no matter what you do, don't try to buy this > guy's car: > > John "A-hole" Schubert of Midwest Flying Service > 804 Pennsylvania Ave. > Leavenworth, KS 66048 > > > He is selling a 1990 Vanagon Carat blue w/ grey moulding/interior, > driver-side front-end damage from collision with > deer, around 120k miles. > > Avoid this guy at all costs. I am still confused > about what actually > happened to me these past couple of days, I guess I > am in shock. I can't > believe anyone would do this. All I do know is that > I am $200 poorer and 3 > miserable days older and depressed because I still > need a parts van to > finish the resto of my Syncro Westy. > > If anyone has any creative ideas of how I can seek > some retribution from > this guy please let me know, maybe BenT can lend me > the shotgun he's been > talking about (just kidding). > > My stomach hurts just thinking about it, > Brett Baer > Austin, TX > '87 Syncro Westy > > _________________________________________________________________ > Tired of spam? Get advanced junk mail protection > with MSN 8. > http://join.msn.com/?page=features/junkmail