Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2003, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 11 Aug 2003 15:56:57 -0700
From:         JD Foster <jidd@JIDDWARE.COM>
Subject:      Re: Calif: Buying out of state
Comments: To: "Mike D." <md03@XOCHI.COM>

Mike, Do you tell everyone who has mechanical problems to just "go read a Bentley"? Sure, information is out there, but I though the reason we're on here on this list is to help one another and share insight, experiences and information. There is a WORLD of difference in what is "documented" procedure from CA DMV and what is real-world experience. Am I mistaken? Don't get me wrong, I agree that too often some (not all) people are lazy and expect people to look things up for them. I can assure you that isn't the case here. I've been through the DMV website MANY times; I particularly dig the online create a custom plate database that checks your request against all the existing personalized plates.

The big question wasn't really "how to register an out-of-state vehicle in CA", but more specifically what (and who's) hoops do I have to jump through in order to legally drive the thing home from PA. Additionally, I'm not physically in PA to handle the transaction and they require everything to be notarized. I've registered plenty of vehicles in CA, including one out-of-stater (my Z3), and one salvaged-title that I restored and put back on the road (a wrecked S-10 blazer that I converted to a live-axle 4wd).

For those still following the story, I finally found out this afternoon that under no circumstances would PA issue a temporary registration to transport the vehicle without me being there in person. I was initially to have a relative take delivery of the vehicle and store in in VA until I go back there this November, but it turns out that he can't legally drive the thing from PA to VA because PA won't issue the temp permit. It looks like the best solution at this point is to compensate Chris for towing it down to VA. Then, once I have the title I can handle the paperwork with CA DMV and get a temp permit through them.

Cheers, JD

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mike D." <md03@XOCHI.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Monday, August 11, 2003 2:56 PM Subject: Re: Calif: Buying out of state