Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2003, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 12 Aug 2003 08:51:13 EDT
From:         Ben T <BenTbtstr8@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: registering Pa vehicle in CA
Comments: To: jrasite@EONI.COM

In a message dated 8/11/2003 7:59:02 PM Pacific Daylight Time, jrasite@EONI.COM writes:

> CHP/local cop gets curious upon seeing VA plates over a number of > days/weeks/months. Pulls over CA driver. Finds CA driver's license, VA > plates. Listens to story. Cites driver for failure to transfer title > within state required 10 days. Driver gets to explain story to judge. > Judge enforces law and mandates enhanced CA revenue. Driver gets to do > his part to reduce the CA deficit. Driver pays CA taxes and > registration in addition to VA. >

IIRC it's now 5 days in California.

I have titled a great number of out of state vehicles in California. Take your out of state title to your local DMV. Pay all the fees. They will give you a temp. operating permit and a Verification of VIN to have a peace officer or DMV employee to complete. Affix the temp tag to the vehicle and drive it home. Then bring it to a CA smog check station. They will verify DOT compliance tags if applicable. Test for CA emissions (should pass if you have not altered stock components and van is in good running condition). Get VIN's verified. And you are done. See DMV resource pages below for any state DMV's.

BenT http://members.aol.com/bentbtstr8/vanagoncafedmvreourcepages.html