Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2003, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 12 Aug 2003 08:08:38 -0500
From:         John Rodgers <j_rodgers@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Rear Hatch Leak

My 88 GL has develoed a leak somehwhere around the rear hatch - maybe!! Everytime it rains, the carpet in the right rear cargo area floor and engine hatch gets wet. The problem sees to be progressing with the passage of time. The way the reach hatch is made with a fairly large lip, and the way the rear hatch seal is installed, it doesn't seem likely that it is really the hatch that is leaking but somewhere else. My AC is out of commission so it's not condensate from a plugged drain I wouldn't think. I did pull the old silver trim out of the rubber on the rear side windows as they were coming to pieces. Could it be that I have disturbed the lock and inadvertantly loosened the seals around the windows.

Suggestions anyone?

R & R the rear window seals??

If the rear side window seals must be replaced, what is the best procedure to get it done. I know how the windshield glass works, but not those side windows.

Also, with all the silver plastic around ALL of the windows being removed, I am left with really tacky looking aluminum sliding glass window frames on the sliding door and the window opposite the sliding door on the driver side. Would appreciate any suggestions on how to black those frames to match the now all black window seals, and to do so in a permanent way so as not to have the black color scraped off the first time the sliding windows are opened.

Thanks.

Regards,

John Rodgers