Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2003, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 12 Aug 2003 08:50:09 -0700
From:         Mike Pedersen <mikeped@SHAW.CA>
Subject:      Fw: '88 won't start, fuel pump problems  LONG

Thanks to all that have replied. I have isolated the problem to the ECU. Looks like faulty solder connections. By tapping on the ECU with a wrench, I can turn the system on or off. Spoke with VW of Canada this morning, they of course wanted $1,200 for new and had no rebuilds. But the partsman wanted the VIN to run to see if it was affected by recall. I don't remember any reading any recall notices for the ECU, but he seemed pretty sure and was checking it out. Of course, mine will not be one of the vehicles affected...

Anyway, does any one have experience in this?

Regards, Mike Pedersen Powell River, BC ----- Original Message ----- From: Mike Pedersen To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Sent: Saturday, August 09, 2003 4:04 PM Subject: '88 won't start, fuel pump problems LONG

I have an '88 auto westy, which I have not driven in months (work away from home and holidays...).

- Returned home to dead battery. Attempted to start with 50amp booster. Turned over, but wouldn't fire. Fuel pump did "charge up" to injectors. Heard funny buzzing clicking sound from (then unknown) power supply and fuel pump relays.

- Put battery on charge overnight. Battery took charge, but still suspect (5 years old).

- When attempting to start this morning, no fuel pump noise. Searched archives and learned.

- Took apart power supply and fuel pump relays, cleaned them up and checked. Power to solenoid closes contacts and there is continuity across contacts. Reinserted with covers off and watched. As key goes to on power supply closes, as key goes to start fuel pump relay closes. Still no pump noise.

- Checked voltage to fuel pump, 10.6v (low, I think...). Checked current , no draw.

- Hooked up secondary power supply to pump, it works fine. Whew!

- Removed and cleaned grounds, and checked continuity. OK

- Removed and cleaned AFM contacts. Thought it was worth a try...

- Changed battery for new. I had to get away for a while...

- Same voltage to pump (10.6v) Added ground wire direct to battery. No help.

Any ideas?

Mike Pedersen Powell River, BC