Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2003, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 8 Aug 2003 14:42:36 -0500
From:         John Rodgers <j_rodgers@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: Roadhaus - Anchorage to Fairbanks Must See Suggestions?
Comments: To: Larry Chase <roadguy@ROADHAUS.COM>

I lived on the Kenai Peninsula for 15 years.

If you don't go to Seward and Homer - both of which are on the peninsula - then you will have missed some of the best of Alaska.

Seward sits at the head of Resurrection Bay, and is a year round, deep water port. Fantastic Silver Salmon and Halibut fishing there. The opening scene of the movie with Sean Connery - "The Hunt for Red October" - was filmed in Resurection Bay in the winter.

Homer is at the mouth of Kachemak Bay. Just as you arrive there you will come to a curve in the road on a cliff that overlooks all of the Bay and Lower Cook Inlet. The view is incredible. you will be able to see great glaciers at the head of the bay, and in the opposite direction to the west you will be able to see Mt. Augustine, an active volcanoe that sits in the inlet and puffs smoke. For a preview of the volcanoe and one of Alaska's glorious sunsets, check my website at http://webpages.charter.net/j_rodgers

The opening page is a picture of the volcanoe.

When driving down to Seward and to Homer, the scenery is fabulous. On the way to Homer you will go through the little town of Soldotna. If you turn right at the Kenai-Spur Highway it will take you the 10 miles to Kenai. If you stay on the road it will take you Nikiski and to the Captain Cook campground about 10 miles further out. Nice place to camp on the the edge of Cook Inlet. While in Kenai, ask whee to see the Beluga Whales. On hig tide they come into the mouth of the Kenai River and can be observed from the cliffs along thr river bank on the Kenai side of the river.

Coming back into Kenai from the Campground you can turn right in Kenai and cross the bridge over the lower part of the Kenai River down by the tidal zone. It crosses the river an connects to K-Beach Road. A right turn onto K-Beach (Kalifonski Beach Road) will take you along the Cook Inlet back to the Homer Highway just a little below the town of Soldotna. You won't miss anything by cutting off that short part of the Homer Highway, and you will be able to see it comeing back up for Homer.

While in Home, don't miss a visit to the Pratt Museum - you would regret it if you did. Also stop into Ptarmigan Arts on Pioneer St., which is the main Business district in Homer. And of course, you must visit the Homer Spit. You will be there when the Silver Salmon are running, and you can fish off the beaches for the fish in salt water. If time permits, take a water taxi over to the artsy-fartsy community of Seldovia, across the bay. Strictly foot traffic over there. Great place. plan to spend a day on that excursion. Water taxi may take you by some sea otters, and a puffin rookery while you are out there.

By all means - go down on the Kenai ---- a journey well worth the time.

Regards,

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver - 30 years in Alaska