Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2003, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 14 Aug 2003 01:42:48 -0400
From:         Alex Towner <altowner@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      seat cleaning

Call me crazy, but if I have an extremely dirty seat, I take it apart and wash the upholstery. With patience any mechanically inclined person can remove the fabric from a Vanagon seat. It takes slightly longer to reassemble. I soak mine in the washing machine with liquid laundry detergent. If they are really bad, I will put them through a gentle cycle.

Important cautions: If any of the stitching is coming loose, the washer will make it worse. Likewise, any thin or sliced part of the vinyl or fabric could be worsened. On the front seat bottoms, a cardboard "band" locks the fabric to the metal seat frame. If this is in poor condition it should not be soaked. Do not stuff the washer with the material; one or two pieces at a time. If your seat covers are structurally good, there shouldn't be a problem.

You can also set the fabric down on a clean tarp outdoors and use a hose and mild detergent. A nylon bristle brush with the soap will loosen virtually all dirt and remove most stains. Having the seat disassembled also allows the cleaning of the back side of the fabric where dirt and smells collect. Let the seat covers air dry for a couple of days and reassemble.

Lots of people here will say this is way too involved, but it sounds like renting a steam cleaner, making multiple trips to Wal-Mart, etc. is a pretty big time commitment also and the results seem uneven. I purchased a grey velour bed/bench for my van which looked like it had sat in a mudpuddle for a year. I pulled the fabric, and with a lot of scrubbing with a nylon brush and several washes, the seat covers look like new. I've also done the front seats and two sets of Recaros. The worst that has happened was that some stitching on the plastic "lock strips" on one of the Recaros worked loose. I had an automotive upholstery shop sew things back up for $10. The leftover scent from the laundry detergent is quite pleasing.

Another benefit: If you take the front seats apart, you can swap the foam / fabric to the opposite side, equalizing wear. Proceed at your own risk of course, but I'm sure you'll like the results.