Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2003, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 14 Aug 2003 17:28:05 -0700
From:         Jeffrey Schwaia <jeff@TSSGI.COM>
Subject:      Re: how'd burning man become so cool?
Comments: To: Art McGinn <amcginn@microweb.com>

BM is what you make of it. There's plenty of people who come out to gawk at the naked people and those they consider freaks, however, many come to have a good time and be free, so to speak.

There's low key, high strung, family oriented, singles oriented, all kinds of sexually oriented, artistic oriented, and just plain silly people all over the place having a good time. If you're open minded, it's a blast. If you don't have a lot of patience, don't go.

Cheers,

Jeff

-----Original Message----- From: Art McGinn [mailto:amcginn@microweb.com] Sent: Thursday, August 14, 2003 4:07 PM To: Jeffrey Schwaia Subject: how'd burning man become so cool?

dumb question department: burning man started a few years ago as a few friends meeting around a driftwood fire at baker beach, a windswept stretch of surf where the pacific ocean meets san francisco bay, with a magnificent view of the golden gate bridge to the north and the marin headlands across the water. it's five minutes from my residence in san francisco and i visit baker beach often. from the posts here, it sounds like burning man is now staged in a hellish sort of moonscape, out in the desert far from its origins, and has become an ordeal but evidently worth the aggravation. is it fair to say burning man has become a sort of modern-day woodstock? the s.f. chronicle usually has a big story on burning man each year, with photos, but the overall attraction remains a bit hazy to those of us who have never attended this huge and hugely popular tribal gathering. i mean beyond the presumably same attractions of, say, spring break in florida? any enlightenment here? cheers, art, '82 westy

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jeffrey Schwaia" <jeff@TSSGI.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Thursday, August 14, 2003 2:38 PM Subject: Re: Burning Man Tips?