Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2003, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 8 Aug 2003 21:11:39 -0700
From:         Jim <jrasite@EONI.COM>
Subject:      FW: [Audi-VW-Diesels] all wheel drive and emissions testing? -
              Answer

From the Audi-VW-Diesel list. The question was, ³How do you emission test a Syncro?² This answer needs to be in the Vanagon archives too!

Jim

-----Original Message----- From: Ellen Tober Sent: Thursday, August 07, 2003 3:48 PM To: Cc: Subject: RE: [Audi-VW-Diesels] all wheel drive and emissions testing? - Answer

Ed,

My hubby sent your question along to me. I work in the vehicle testing industry, so he figured I could answer your question. Please be aware that this is only my opinion given my knowledge of the various programs ­ I feel I have to say that since I work in the industryŠ

Regarding Californiaıs ³Smog Check² (and some other programs), some areas of the State are designated ³Basic² and some ³Enhanced². Basically, if the air is dirtier, the area gets designated ³Enhanced² and they have to do more/better/etc. testing on the vehicles to help get them into emissions compliance. In CA, the ³Enhanced² areas have the analyzer setups with Dynes and they run an ASM (Acceleration-Simulation-Mode) test on the vehicles which it is suited for. These are more expensive test units than those without a dyne. In regard to dynes in general, they can be 2wd or 4wd. However, 4wd dynes are quite pricey to be reasonable for use in these mandated inspection programs ­ the test would cost too much if the vendors were providing 4wd dynes with the inspection systems. So, all (or nearly all) of them use the 2wd dyne. Now, note that I said they run the ASM test on the vehicles which it is suited for. An ASM test on equipment with a 2wd dynamometer is NOT suitable for a subset of vehicles (non-disengageable traction-control, full time AWD, etc.). Thus, even in an enhanced area where ASM inspections are mandated, vehicles not suited for operation on 2wd dyne will NOT receive ASM test ­ they will received the non-dyne test.

Now, I know youıre talking diesel. ASM is an inspection designed for gasoline/gasoline equivalent vehicles, by EPA definition. But for inspection programs which include testing of diesel vehicles, the same logic applies. Vehicles safe/suited to test on 2wd dyne get the loaded-mode (dyne) test, while vehicles not suited for 2wd dyne testing are NOT given the loaded mode test. There is always an alternate, non-dyne test defined for vehicles that canıt go on the dyne.

So it sounds as if the person who asked the question is in an area of CA which is going to the Enhanced test (with dyne, on vehicles where dyne is appropriate). So, yes, some vehicles in area will start receiving dyne tests ­ but the vehicles unsuited for dyne will get an alternative test.

Lastly, you are correct in saying ³surely they wouldnıt make you disconnect the drive shaft.² These programs are unpopular enough without having mandated techniques which are invasive to the vehicle ­ Iıd say disconnecting the drive shaft is WAY invasive. It is a liability issue and neither the government agency mandating the program nor the vendors supplying equipment would go for manipulation of the vehicle systems to this degree. Plus, it would give inaccurate results (a synchro with a disconnected drive shaft running an ASM or loaded mode diesel test on a 2wd dyne will not depict anything near the real driving exhaust scenario for such a vehicle).

BTW, Diesel AWD Audi is my dream car. I donıt have one. Maybe someday theyıll import one or hubby will make me one.

Hope this helps. Please forward to the original person asking about it.

Regards,

Ellen

2001 Subaru Legacy GT 1991 WV Jetta Diesel 4-Door 1991 WV Jetta Diesel 2-Door 1986 Audi 4000CS Quattro 1986 Chevy C10 Pickup 2wd 1986 VW Scirocco 16V 1986 Honda CB450 Nighthawk

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT