Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2003, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 9 Aug 2003 19:48:54 +0100
From:         steve d <sdelasal@PEOPLEPC.COM>
Subject:      Fw: Q about radius rod on 82 van

----- Original Message ----- From: steve d To: Simplstupd@aol.com Sent: Saturday, August 09, 2003 6:39 PM Subject: Re: Q about radius rod on 82 van

Thanks ...if you could email me a copy of the haynes info I'd appreciate it. I pick up the replacement parts on tuesday so will then see how loose the tube is in the radius arm - all getting a bit lae really as we're supposed to be off camping next weekend.

Do you mind if I forward your reply to the vanagon list in case it prompts anyone else to chime in?

Steve

----- Original Message ----- From: Simplstupd@aol.com To: sdelasal@PEOPLEPC.COM Sent: Saturday, August 09, 2003 5:12 PM Subject: Re: Q about radius rod on 82 van

I looked at my 82 and it is of no help because you would have to remove everything to inspect....

The only thing I can comment on is based on an exploded diagram I have of the front suspension assembly. This comes from Haynes, not Bentley, but is very detailed.

I will comment, then if you want me to email you a pic of this diagram I will.

The drop link slides into a steel sleeve These 2 pieces together then get inserted down thru the radius rod.

*If the assembly is inserted and there is side to side play, the hole in the radius rod is worn*

The question becomes is this bad and does it require replacement of the radius rod. Hard to determine w/o either being there to look at it, or reassembling the whole contraption and taking it for a test drive.

I would assume if there is play between the hole in the radius rod and that sleeve, you may be able to add some sort of liquid filler compound to take up the space.

FWIW most Vanagons of this vintage that I have looked at also have snapped anti-roll bars. Mine, fortunately, is still in real good shape even with surface rust.

Let me know..... Paul