Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2003, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 16 Aug 2003 12:48:32 -0700
From:         Doktor Tim <doktortim@ROCKISLAND.COM>
Subject:      Re: Some basic TypeIV engine help, please
Comments: To: Tom Young <tomyoung1@COMCAST.NET>

At 12:01 PM 08/16/2003, you wrote: >During the trip from Eureka to the SF >Bay area she had to stop and put in a quart of oil every 15-30 minutes. She >also reports that a few miles from the house she experienced a significant >decrease in power. When I started it up this morning it was hard to keep >running, had virtually no power - I'd guess it's running on 3 cylinders - >and blowing smoke badly, which the friend says is new.

What this says to me is tear down of the motor is the only way to find out what is wrong. It sounds very much like a burned piston. Know that just a minute or two of running low on oil will ruin your engine. I speculate that there is a 95% chance that no significant mileage can be had from this motor without a long block rebuild. Do a compression test to confirm. Just inspection of the plugs will identify the bad cylinder/s. But know that the problem is lack of lubrication, so you can expect that damage extends to the bottom end. Frankly, I wouldn't waste the time to tear it down. I would just install a rebuilt long block. If you can find and compression test a used motor and it passes specs, that would be a compromise with some potential for reasonable value.

>I don't want to deal with this right now, but I guess I have to since she's >here and has no money.

Time/money is required to fix it. Buying the cheapest advertised Californicated rebuild (GEX et al) will just waste more money, though it might make it back to Bellingham. If she doesn't have the time/money to fix it right, where will she find the time/money to do it over?? Just 2 iterations of a compromise fix will normally pay for a proper fix. If you or someone else fixes her problems, it just will lead to a life of hell for her as she gets the impression that all her dilemas are both created and fixable by other than her.

Seen on the street recently a 74+ Westy with Sherrif's notice posted on it, Californa plates. It sat there for 2 weeks. I finally stopped to have a look. Pop top was raised on one side. Side door was wide open. Personals were scattered throughout. Opened the rear hatch to check the motor. T-I motor installed with NO COOLING TIN. Abandoned in toto on the street. No doubt a bill for disposal will be sent to the registered owner. Big compromise costs big always. Little compromise costs big generally. So sad that those that cannot afford to waste a dime tend to waste the most.