Vanagon EuroVan
Previous (more recent) messageNext (less recent) messagePrevious (more recent) in topicNext (less recent) in topicPrevious (more recent) by same authorNext (less recent) by same authorPrevious page (August 2003, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 19 Aug 2003 06:38:54 -0700
From:         Malcolm Stebbins <mwstebbins@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Yet another trip report 12,000 kms Long-ish

I'll try to focus on the highlights and the vanagon parts of the story but its still LONG:

If you think pictures are worth 1,000 words try: http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/bc/mwstebbins/ Its called the "trip west". If you want then in order "list" them rather than Thumbnails.

Trips stats: About 12,000 Kms., 34 days 4 van items broke: Odometer, Wheel bearing, Alternator, Propane part of the fridge. Spent CDN $3,146 (not including van repairs) for 34 days or CDN$92.52/day We free camped (with friends or stealth) 11 nights of the 34 days. about 18 mpg (12L/100KM) with my new Weber carb. Halifax, Calgary, Hot Springs, and back to Halifax.

April 26 we took off for the official start of our trip.

Halifax, Nova Scotia, up through New Brunswick, over into Maine and north up highway 11 to the top of Maine, North to to Riviere-du-Loup (loo) where we crossed to the north side of the St. Laurence River and then northwest on Highway 170 towards Lac St Jean where we stealth camped in a field. Then we headed southwest on Highway 155 to Park National de la Mauricie. Rural Quebec French is not what we learned in school.

Then we took every back road we could find on our way to Ottawa. In Ottawa we split up, I took off across the transcanada highway for Harbor Springs Mi while Pat attended a conference & returned to Halifax till June.

Here we have a 2 month break in the trip.

July 1, the trip resumes with the odometer broken and just on the north side of the Mackinaw bridge, as we turned west, I could hear a roar from the right front wheel. I get out the vanagon.com list of recommended repair shops and found Winnipeg, as that is where we plan to spend a few days. I called them and they order the part and book me in July 3. We spend a few days with Pat's friends and visit her 'home town'. We then went across to Saskatoon (more friends).

Then off to Saskatoon & the Dinosaur Provincial Park. Interesting park, worth a stop. Next day we enter Rockies through Kananaskis highway 40 - Fantastic and made all the better after 5 or so days on the flat prairies.

July 8 Pat stays in Kananaskis while I drive north west up through Banff and Lake Louise to Jasper. One of the most Scenic drives I have EVER been on (and I've 3 times driven through Switzerland!). My son & we spend the next day on an 8 hour hike.

My son is driving and says "Dad the read battery light just came on". we stop, I look, use the volt meter and its either a bad regulator or a bad alternator - I'm not sure which.

We drive back to Jasper on the battery, and I call my mechanic back in Halifax (remember he once made a house call to me in Michigan). Upon his instructions yes, bad alternator, So I get the part number and call NAPA and they can get the part for tomorrow at 11.

Trouble is I was to be back in Kananaskis that night, so call Pat and talk about Plan B.

Plan B: I camp in my son's apt. driveway, next day go to NAPA and pull the bad alternator and wait for the Alternator - It's Saturday. Alternator arrives but WITHOUT the pulley, so I have to hunt up a mechanic to R&R the alternator pulley - he does not charge me for the 5 minutes of work. I reinstall the alt. and off I go back Southeast through some of the most beautiful mountain scenery I have ever seen (did I mention Switzerland??), and off to Medicine Hat Alberta where Pat's with her friends.

July 13 we leave for Writing-on-Stone Prov. Park in SE Alberta. Interesting and worth a visit. Then on to Waterton Lakes National Park, International Park for 2 nights & a hike up to Crypt lake. Be sure to treat your spouse to High Tea at the Prince of Wales Lodge overlooking Waterton Lake - beautiful.

July 16 we drive out and down into the USA a through Glacier Nat'l Park and on to Sully Lake then on southeast on back roads (83, 141, 69, etc.) If you can find Pony, Montana - be sure to have a beer at the Pony Bar - as authentic as it gets.

On to the obligatory stop in Yellowstone, we spend 3 days here driving around and sight-seeing. Elk, Moose, Bison (there are no Buffalo in north america!!), bear, bald eagles, mudpots, sulfur pools, and Yellowstone's Grand Canyon. We included a day trip down to the Grand Tetons - disappointing after the Canadian Rockies.

July 19 We officially began our return trip and headed east out of Yellowstone on Highway 14 not Interstate 90).

We got as far as 9022 ft Granite Pass Wyo. (Hwy 14) a bit west of Sheridan Wyo. and found a dirt road just! east of the road's summit that went north and after about 2 miles we camped for the night in the BEST campsite of the trip. No one within 50 miles. Beautiful.

We headed for the Black Hills area in S Dakota. Devils Tower, Rushmore, Crazyhorse, Jewel Cave, and of course, Wall, SD. Off through Hot Springs & Wind Cave Nat'l Park, Custer State Park, and drove through the Badlands towards Mitchell to see the Corn(y) Palace.

Here the trip was really finished, but we still had 3,000 kms to Halifax. We drive like crazy on I-90 up through Green Bay and back to our place in Northern Michigan for a few nights stay with friends and then off to Toronto for some shopping (Hiking boots and a Nikon Coolpix 5400).

July 31 off to Ottawa for a Canadian Football game. The fridge stopped working on Propane, but since it was the last few days we just put some ice in there and ran it on 12 V while driving.

August 1, we drove up along the southern edge of the St Lawrence sea-way (highway 132, quaint) and back to Halifax.

I have a lot of work to do on the van and to get ready for classes in September. Thanks for reading this far. Malcolm & Pat