Vanagon EuroVan
Previous (more recent) messageNext (less recent) messagePrevious (more recent) in topicNext (less recent) in topicPrevious (more recent) by same authorNext (less recent) by same authorPrevious page (August 2003, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 15 Aug 2003 16:53:05 -0400
From:         Mark G <machfive@EXCITE.COM>
Subject:      Re: Lighting the fridge-the E-Z way
Comments: To: warmerwagen@hotmail.com

Hard to say, only because I haven't used the fridge in about a year. Also, last night when I had the successful light, I was in the (angled) driveway, so I only left it lit for about 20 minutes. (Due to the dangers of leaving the fridge on when van is not level.) I will try again this weekend, on level surface.

If I recall, the lowest temp (ambient temp being roughly in the 85 degree range) was about 45 degrees. Fully loaded, and going through the desert, I think it rose to the low 50's. But this info may not be correct.

This time around, when we go camping in two weeks, the ambient temps in Mission Bay, San Diego should be in the low to mid 80's (I'm guessing) I plan to pre-chill on 110V, then switch over to propane. Also, I plan to boost fridge "cooling power" with a modification to Stan Wilder's dry-ice trick. I may buy ice-pack sheets from Costco (pack of 4 for ~$9.00) and stick those into the fridge.

Plus, I'm still taking the new Max-Cold ice-chest!