Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2003, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 17 Aug 2003 19:37:28 -0700
From:         Felder <felder@KNOLOGY.NET>
Subject:      Westy Information Needed.

Hello;

OK, this is first post for me on this list, so if someone gets this message who shouldn't, and they don't see the message on the list, please let me know.

I bought an 93 diesel Westy from the family of a friend who died overseas around Christmas. He bought it expecting to hook up all the camper stuff inside once his teaching gig was up and he got back to the US. The westy stuff had been removed for a right side panel repair due to a previous accident. All the body repair has been done. Today, I cut holes and installed all the utility hookups, got the insulation and and got everything paneled over with hoses routed correctly.

My point in describing all this is that now comes the time to install all the westy stuff. The problem is, I've never owned a camper before, never seen any of this stuff installed in the first place and still--after weeks of research and figuring--have a few questions about what goes where and how it connects. OK, maybe more than a few. And my friend is not around to ask.

Is there any reference to the camper wiring harness that shows where everything goes?

I've located the water tank cabinet that was smashed in the wreck, and that may yield a few clues. I'm wanting to find:

1. Where the small two-fuse block mounts that connects the two pairs of red wires,

2. How the harness (which color wires, what type connectors) connect the fridge and sink to the aux. battery... in other wirds, how is power taken off the battery to the harness?

3. Where does the green wire (looks like a ground) to the circuit breaker go?

4. Does the wiring harness run in front of or behind the panel wall?

5. How can the fridge be tested on gas before installing? If it isn't working, now sure would be the time to fix it.

6. Somebody put a muffler on this thing that's about the right size for an Austin Healy sprite. Where can I find a decent used muffler setup for the car?

7. Where can I find a rear chrome bumper without spending a fortune?

8. Where can I find one chrome flame spreader for the stove?

9. Who has a flue vent?

10. I have a line on the water tank cabinet, but don't know how much the guy is going to charge me for it. Anybody else have this cabinet? It goes between the closet and the fridge. All pieces needed.

11. One thing that seems to be missing is the bit of harness that goes to all (four or five, I'm not looking at it right now) spade connectors on the side of the water tank. What's the deal with that?

12. What does the water tank sit on? The floor? A pad of some kind?

Thanks,

Any help will be appreciated.

Jim Felder

90 Carat 83 Diesel Westy

Madison, Alabama 256 772 9105 office 256 426 0558 cell 866 208 6519 toll-free fax