Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2003, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 18 Aug 2003 01:23:05 -0400
From:         Kim Brennan <kimbrennan@MAC.COM>
Subject:      Middle seat in a Westy

So, last year I picked up one of those single middle seats. This weekend, I finally got around to installing the rails in my Westy.

My first problem was determining where to put the rails. I wanted to cut the wood floor, like it was done in the OEM Westy's that actually came with a middle seat. In the end this was easier than I thought. As has been noted before on the list the bolt holes are already there. They're just under the floor.

So the first task was gaining access to the under side of the floor. The floor is held on with 6 screws (there may be additional ones under the cabinets, but I didn't go that far.) In addition there are 4 screws holding the metal strip at the sliding door. All of these need to be removed (the screws and the metal strip.)

Then the rear (folding) seat has to be removed. The Bentley has the details on this. it comes out in one piece, which makes things fairly easy.

Now lift up the edge of the floor near the sliding door. Note that there is a nailing strip which is separate from the actual floor. The nailing strip will stay in place. Er, you probably will need to remove the rubber guard at the lip of the door (it just pulls off after the metal strip has been removed.) The floor is only about 1/4 inch thick. Be careful of the staples that attach the nailing strip to the floor. Both not to damage them, nor to cut yourself on them.

You won't be able to lift the floor up and out. Only up enough to gain (limited) access to the underside. This is important as each of the bolt holes has a rubber plug in it to prevent water from coming in. These plugs just unscrew. Remove a couple of them. The one nearest the door and another further in towards the center of the vehicle. Save the plugs and the rubber washer.

Now get out your drill ( I use a cordless). Get a small bit. Put the floor back down. You are going to drill UP from the bottom of the vehicle THROUGH the bolt holes. The bolt holes no longer having a plug in them. These holes are for reference. You don't want to damage the threads on the bolt holes. A wood boring bit is what I used. You are drilling through the plywood that makes up the floor of you westy.

Now you have reference points. I used two short rails instead of one short and one long as used in passenger Vanagons. Lay out the rails on the top side of the flooring lining up the drilled holes with a couple of the openings in the rails. With a sharp knife score the rubber "tile" on both sides of the rail, at the inside end and extend the door side to the edge of the floor. You want to cut THROUGH the vinyl flooring. When this has been done. Remove the rail. Then lift up the vinyl flooring in the outlined section where the rail was. You now should have a rough idea of the shape of the opening in the wood floor that you'll be creating.

I used a cordless circular saw for the next step. Set the depth on it to be just about exactly the thickness of the wood floor. Don't be concerned about cutting in to the metal floor. The wood floor is supported on the metal ribbing of the bottom of the Vanagon. You'll be cutting the floor ABOVE one of the depressions. So you'll actually have an additional 1/4 inch of air space above the metal as a safety margin.

Cut the floor with the saw from the door opening to just short of the outlined section. I used a sharp knife the complete the end section and to trim up in unsightly wood along the cut. I also use a shop vacuum after each cut so that I can see what I'm doing.

Remove the cut section of wood. You now should be able to see all of the rubber plugs in the section where the rail is going to go. But you aren't quite ready to install the rail yet.

Your outline for your cut was only the width of the rail. In fact you'll need to make it wider on both sides by about 1/4 inch (to accomodate the seat rail section). In addition, you may have had to adjust the edges of your cuts to be better centered over where the rail will actually be mounted. So do your additional trimming now. A good sharp knife (I used a leatherman tool and it's serrated NOT saw blade).

Ready to install the rail? Remove all of the plugs in the visible bolt holes. Put the rubber washers back in place. Put the Rail on top. Choose two of the bolt holes for your real metal bolts. (I choose two slightly to the right of center). Put the rubber plugs into the others. Tighten the metal bolts down.

Install seat. With the seat in place you can reattach the rubber edge strip and metal strip at the door entrance (You'll have to remove them when pulling the seat.) If you aren't using the middle seat you can put carpet down and you'll hardly notice the rails. I understand OEM Westy's had a middle of the rail filler to make it even less noticable. I haven't gotten to making those yet. I also haven't cut carpet to put in place when the seat is installed. That too, will have to wait for another weekend.

PS. This must have been my weekend for cutting myself. This first thing I did was cut both wrists while installing a washer (not into the Westy...I just used it to transport the washer). Then while lifting up the floor, I dropped the floor pinching the tip of one of my fingers and ripping the skin off the tip of the finger. Later as I was trimming up the edges of my cuts, I sliced another finger with my leatherman knife.

I'm not normally this clumsy and I normally take a lot of precautions to avoid injuries. It was just the weekend for catching up all the times I don't injure myself.